Chapter 29

"OI. Charlotte."

He said it so sharply that she almost fell out of her chair. "Jeees," her hand flew to her chest.  "What do you want Shady?" At 6.35pm, most of the office had left, and they were more alone than she liked.

"So we're back to that are we? How nice."Jaycob closed the door to her office behind himself. "We need to talk about that night."

"Which one."

"The one where we had sex."

She flinched. "...um. Do we though? Do we really? I erm, I think we could just not? Maybe?"

"What I want to know," he charged on, pacing slowly in front of the desk she was sitting behind, "Was if it was as good for you, as it was for me?"

"Oh my god," Charlie went purple.

He braced his hands on the desk and leaned over towards her,  staring her directly in the eye. "You can't pretend to be prudish, sugar. Not after that."

"Jaycob!"

"So? Did it blow your mind? You certainly... blew mine." The look in his eyes was something dark and wicked, and Charly wanted to melt into the floor and die. She never spoke about stuff like this with Matty – and they'd been together for years and years. Their relationship had always been... comfortable? regular? ... well, whatever it was, there was nothing messy about it at all. 

Maybe a part of her had always lusted after the spontaneous, joyous way George approached her sexuality. 

Maybe that night with Jaycob – a night that was dirty and delicious to the max – proved that. 

But that didn't meant in the light of day, she was going to talk about it. Nope nope nope. If she went any redder she'd probably explode. 

...But was it bad? There was a tiny voice that dared to admit that his frankness was exciting. And though she didn't really want to admit it... it was addictive. She had come away feeling so beautiful and powerful and wanted.

She raised her eyes to his, and a shit-eating grin grew on his face. "That's what I thought," he muttered, and moved around her desk. He spun her chair around slowly and bracketed her between his muscled arms. Before she knew it he was bending over her, his body trapping hers and his lips hovering over her skin. "This okay sugar?"

"Mmmhmmn..."

"Gotta say it."

"...It it's mkay it'sokay."

His chuckle reverberated through her body and liquefied her insides. "Go on a date with me."

"I'm not sure that's such a good idea."

"Why not sug?"

"Cause you irritate the shit out of me too."

"Makes the sex all the hotter, don't you agree?" He nipped her ear and smirked a dirty smirk that  added a few impossible degrees to the temperature of her face. "I thought you didn't like me, but then..." he trailed off with a suggestive wink. "And well, lets be real, you're can't be that good at faking it." She squeaked in mortification. Clearly he took perverse joy in making her blush.

She shut her eyes tight and shook her head. "Jay, wait. Wait," she scrambled out from underneath him. "I've just got out of a relationship, like a very long relationship. I don't want a rebound with someone like you."

His frowned, but chose to ignore the rebound comment. "Like me?" 

"I don't know," she muttered, hugging her arms. "As..." she waved her arms around in his general direction, "...big, as you."

"I'm gonna go ahead and assume you're not talking about my size."

"Shutupno," her blush travelled lower.

"You're gonna need to elaborate."

"I can't," she spluttered. "It's everything."

He smirked, "Use your words Charlotte."

"Don't patronise me shithead. It's just... too much right now," she huffed in frustration. 

"What is?"

"You. You're too much." As soon as it came out of her mouth, she regretted it. Just looking at him she could see his chest had physically puffed up. Ugh men. 

"Good. It's not just me then," he leaned against her table and stared at her. 

"How is this good?" she snapped. "Stop smiling! God damn you're an arrogant MOFO." 

"So... it's too much now, but in the future?"

She blushed. "I um, wouldn't mind if you asked me out again. And, for the record, I'd say yes."

He felt impatience bubble up inside him – but he knew himself well enough to check it before it surfaced. Just because he knew what he wanted – and wanted what he wanted now – didn't mean she did to. And that had to be okay. "Maybe that's for the best?" he grumbled. "I don't want to be a rebound."

"Uh wha'do you want?" she asked nervously, staring at the ceiling. 

"I want to date you... none of this casual nonsense. You're provocative and funny and difficult and loyal and smart and sexy – so sexy – and I like you. Like, as a person, too. Yeah... I want you in my life. And in my bed."

She made a vague gurgling noise in response. I'm melting, she thought. She could feel her resolve disintegrating and leaving her defenceless against him. 'Ask me again' she wanted to say. 'Ask me again right now and I'll give you a different answer.' 

But no matter how tempting it was, she would stick to her original decision. She would wait. 

"Just of curiosity," he began. "...Where does this leave us, like, sex wise?"

"Typical," she scoffed.

He scoffed back. "As if you're not thinking about it right now too." 

She looked him up and down speculatively, lips pursed to prevent a smile from overtaking her face. "Well," she sighed, "it's not as if I've got any other offers at the moment."

"You really know how to make a guy feel special," his massive grin belied his grumble. "Not gonna lie, thought I'd have to work a bit harder there."

She wanted to kick him and kiss him at the same time, but she settled on a kiss-tackle, and then she proceeded to joyously lavish him with enough attention to make a guy feel special. 

... and make herself feel powerful too.