Chapter 8

"Lincoln Holt speaking."

"Good afternoon Mr Holt. I'm calling in regards to our dinner appointment tonight."

Georgiana. "Miss Abel. And what can I do for you?"

"I just thought I'd let you know that I've made reservations for four at the restaurant you specified – as per your request."

For four? That was definitely not as per his request. He'd picked La Cura specifically because it would be prefect for two. Soft lighting, beautiful ambience, cozy tables. Perfect for two. "I'm sorry...four?"

"Well yes. Four. I thought that perhaps it would be more of a celebration if we were to share it with our significant others as well."

He could hear the smile in her voice, and he was not happy. "How generous of you, Miss Abel," he grit out. "I'll see you at seven then."

"Oh excellent! I'll ring them now to confirm. Bye bye then!" she trilled.

With that as a farewell, she hung up on a fuming Lincoln.

*

Linc opened the car door for the grumpy woman beside him.

"Tanie, you have to behave. Please don't embarrass me."

"Why should I? You only invited me because you didn't have anyone else."

"Of course I did! You're my little sister. As if I'd pick you over a hot date."

"Thanks a lot. Some brother you are. Mum says you need to call her," when Lincoln completely ignored her, she asked loudly, "why am I even here dude? You're up to something, aren't you?"

"No I'm not."

"Liar. I bet it's something to do with this woman. Miss Ebal."

"Abel," he hissed. "And no. It isn't."

"Liar," she muttered. "Wait - did you say Miss Abel? Georgiana Abel?"

Lincoln grabbed her arm to stop her just before the entrance to the restaurant. "Yes that Miss Abel - will you please just be the best sister in the entire world and not embarrass me?"

"If you admit you totally like her."

He grit his teeth. "Yes okay? I totally like her!"

"See now," Tanie patted his face with a smug grin. "Was that so hard? Now open the door. I'm cold."

Linc sent a prayer to the heavens. This had to go well - and it wouldn't if Tanie didn't pull through for him.

Their coats were taken at the door – and they were ushered towards a table in the far corner. As they got closer, Linc could see the man from the other week seated next to Georgiana. So this was her 'significant other'. He had his arm draped casually over the back of her chair, and they were having a whispered conversation. Wonderful.

Tanie gripped his sleeve and whispered, "Holy moses! He's gorgeous. Good luck with that mate. Why would she look at you when she's got that hunk of heaven?"

"Tanie! Keep your voice down! And you wonder why you weren't my first choice."

"Oh my god chill out. I was only joking - you're such a catch! Maybe not a hunk of heaven...but I like you!"

"Thank you. So much. Please please just behave!"

"Don't even sweat it. I'll be cool. I was born cool."

"Oh my god. What was I thinking?" he muttered to the ceiling.

"You'll see. Just buy me that handbag as a thank you."