Chapter 4

"George?"

"Yeaahuh?"

"You do know you have the mid-semester presentation tonight for Mr Ellingham's green energy project?"

"Yep okay."

"George! I don't think you're listening. You have to go!"

Georgiana finally looked up from the paper in front of her, highlighter lid in her mouth. "Go? Go where?"

"Mr Ellingham's green energy project presentation thingy." Charlotte checked her wristwatch, "and you have, like, an hour to get home, change, fix your make-up and hair, and drive the 40 minutes across town. So we're going to assume you'll not make it on time."

"What the fuu- since when?"

"Since two Tuesdays ago? It's my fault George. I haven't been on top of things lately."

Georgie stopped her mad scramble around the office and turned to her best friend. "Please will you take my offer and go on that holiday? You deserve a break. You haven't had one in years."

"No George. Thank you, but no."

Georgiana tugged her to the couch near the windows. "Please talk to me, Charly. What's happened? You've not been yourself for weeks, and I'm really worried."

"I don't mean to worry you, I'm sorry-"

"I'll always worry over you and that's the way it has to be because you're my best friend and I love you. Please talk to me?"

Charlotte let out a watery laugh, which turned into a snort-sniffle. Georgie grabbed the tissue box and prepared for the tears. "It's Matty. Again. God - when isn't it? I'm so pathetic!"

"You are not pathetic Charlotte."

"Yes I am! It's been like this for years! It's like being on a roller coaster and I'm just tired. I can't do it anymore. Why do I put up with it?"

"Because you love him and love is blind and fucking stupid. Sorry...not helping."

Another watery laugh-snort-sniffle. "I just want to be happy, you know? He makes me so deliriously happy, and I forget how much it hurts until he goes and disappoints me again. And it's always me giving and giving, and him taking and taking and taking. Where is he when I need him? Not here. Not anywhere! He's the most self-absorbed stupid fucker I've ever met in my life and I love him!" She was crying in earnest now and Georgie just hugged her tightly and traced circles on her back until she quietened down somewhat.

"I hate that stupid fucker," Georgie said blackly.

"No don't say that please. He's not bad. He's just...doesn't see that I need him sometimes too. He doesn't see much at all, really."

"Well, you let me know when you've moved into the angry stage and I'll be ready with the vitriol. It won't be a stretch - promise." The stupid fucker.

Charlotte sat up and wiped her eyes. "I'm just sad, you know? Because I know that it's over. The bad started outweighing the good a long time ago, but I can't make excuses any longer. I'm sure I'll start feeling relieved when I've stopped feeling so shitty."

"Well I think you're brave for being able to move on. Seriously. When are you going to break it off?"

"I don't know. Tomorrow I guess. He's coming over for dinner. Has no clue that it's coming."

Georgie was struck with disbelief and anger. "No idea? After you've been upset for weeks? What a-"

"Don't please. No, he has no idea."