Chapter 16

I'm going to preface this by saying I'm not very happy with this chapter. I'll probably come back and edit later, but I've just started my College O-Week so the timing is terrible!
Hope you enjoy:)

----

"It says 'hi'," Georgiana stared agape at the stupid phone lying in her palm.

"Hi? HI! That's all you get? A lousy hi?" Charly was outraged on her behalf. "Gimme the phone." She grabbed it lightning fast, and before George could utter a squeak of protest, she'd already hit send.

Georgie shrunk down into her chair. "Charlotte. What did you send."

"I said hi back. Just 'hi'. You were right George, I have to make the boy work- nobody walks out on my best friend."

Georgie didn't know whether to swear or smile at her, so she just shrunk a bit further down - half under her desk at this point - and stared at the object of all her grief. Just as her fantasies of throwing the phone out of the window were becoming especially vivid, the text tone sounded again. Georgie didn't want to go anywhere near that thing, so she just nodded at Charlotte to go ahead.

Charly tapped in the password, and furrowed her eyes at the screen. "'What's up?' Is he fifteen?" Her head tilted to the side and her fingers flew across the screen as she crafted her responses out loud. "'Nothing much- working. you?' Send. He's typing. Typing.....still typing! What is this guy doing? Writing an essay? Still typing. Oh my god it was a simple question!"

The phone finally buzzed in her impatient hand, and she looked up in triumph, only to be met with an unresponsive Georgiana. "Chill George - I got this." Charly opened the message and harrumphed. "He says, 'Me too haha'. Well. I'm not dignifying that with a response." She clicked the lock button, and set the phone down firmly on the table. "Now we wait."

"Wait? We'll be waiting forever!"

"No, we won't. He initiated contact, and plus, did you see how long he was typing for? Trust me- he wants this." After sitting in silence for a few minutes, Charly got bored and checked the phone again, finding the bubbles pulsating annoyingly on the screen. "The idiot is still typing, let's get a coffee from the break room- leave the phone." She extended her hand, fingers wiggling, and dragged Georgie from the room.

*

Five minutes later, Charlotte slid her thumb across the screen calmly and slowly an odd smile spread across her face.

"What? What?"

"A curveball - that's what. I must say, I'm impressed- takes a man to do that." She handed the phone over with a kiss to the cheek and gilded back out of Georgie's office, coffee in hand. Georgie watched the door click shut and finally took a peak at her phone. Four simple words stared back at her. 'Can I call you?'

'yes.'

A moment later, her phone rang. "Lincoln. Hi."

"Hey, Georgiana. Hi." 

The pause kept getting longer and longer and Georgie was starting to panic. "Can I help you with something Lincoln?" As soon as the words were out of her mouth she cursed herself- it sounded far more harsh than she intended it. Could she be any more obvious?

"I guess I deserved that."

"No - I didn't mean-"

"It's fine Georgie, I deserved that. You can be angry with me. Well, I don't want you to be...but I get it, you know? Anyway look, I rang you because I don't text- and I also wanted to apologise."