Chapter 13

The next few days left Georgie subdued; though Charlotte would say she was just in a plain bad mood. And today was not a day she was looing forward to. Some of Lincoln's board members needed to address a few more questions before progressing with the contract, and there was a meeting today. After lunch.

Georgie sighed. In her mind, there were two potential ways it could go: he would either be there, or he wouldn't.

If he wasn't? Then she would drag Charly out to one of the club's she'd spoken of, and they'd get really drunk and she'd find a man to get frisky with. Then, she'd never think of him (the prick) again.

And yes, it would be that simple. She would make it that simple.

After all her deliberation, she still had no idea what happened. Part of her was desperate to just forget about him. She had never thought twice about something like this...but he was confusing the shit out of her. Perhaps this was for the best anyway. He was, after all, a client - and clearly nothing but trouble.

Lunchtime came and went, and Georgie stayed at her desk. It was only when she heard someone clear their throat that she looked up to see Charlotte sitting in the chair opposite her.

"I brought you a wrap. And a strawberry juice."

"Thank you, but I'm not hung-"

"George, don't be stupid, you need to take care of yourself. Eat it." Georgie blushed and took the package with a thank you. "I owe you an apology too. I didn't think you were serious, when you rang me up I mean, and I've been so focused on myself recently that I didn't realize you-"

"Oh Charlotte now you're being stupid!" Georgie leaned forward and grabbed her friend's hand. "You're going through a break up, of course you should be thinking about yourself; and I did ring you at a obnoxious time, didn't I?"

"You're genuinely upset by this?" Charlotte asked softly.

Georgie withdrew her hand, "I'm a little bit thrown...yeah."

Charlotte realised she'd have to tread slowly. "Wanna talk about it?" Georgie shrugged. "May I ask what happened?"

"I don't know. We were having such a wonderful time, and decided to go to my place, but then he left."

"Did he say why?"

"No."

"Do you have any idea why?"

"No. It felt like I did something wrong. But I don't know. The only thing I can think of is that he saw evidence of my reputation and thought twice. And I can't blame him for that."

Charlotte did not like where this was going. "What do you mean evidence of your reputation? You say that like you're dirty," she said incredulously.

"There was a bunch of fat fucks hanging in the corner, obviously talking about me and the fact that we were leaving together."

"You're acting like you're some scarlet women. Which is rubbish! You've never done anything wrong and you know it. Don't let those narrow minded pricks project their shit onto you Georgiana – you're better than that."

Tears welled in her eyes. "But it could effect him, you know? They're people both of us do business with."

"If Lincoln cares at all about that, then he's a lesser man than I thought he was."

"I haven't heard anything, Charly; it's been four days."

"His secretary indicated when she ran me this morning that he was coming today, so you should see him at the meeting."