The New Teacher

Oliver finally arrived at Hogwarts and eagerly joined his fellow students at the grand first-day feast. As he filled his plate with various delicious dishes, his eyes landed on a bowl of pudding across the table. Wearing a warm smile, he made his way over to Luna and handed it to her.

Filled with delight, Luna's eyes twinkled as she took the pudding from Oliver's outstretched hand, her appreciation evident. Without hesitation, she happily indulged in the sweet treat, savoring each spoonful.

Meanwhile, back at the Gryffindor table, Oliver noticed a peculiar change in the atmosphere. The students seemed to be purposefully creating space between themselves and him, while sending him disapproving glances.

Feeling a pang of sadness and confusion, Oliver's brow furrowed as he returned to his seat. He couldn't understand what had caused this sudden shift in the way his classmates treated him.

Hermione immediately took notice of Oliver's dismay. Ignoring the glances around them, she discreetly reached over, gently grabbing his hand. Locking eyes with him, she planted a gentle, reassuring kiss on his cheek, hoping to provide some solace in that small gesture.

A small smile appeared on Oliver's face as he felt Hermione's support.

"Good evening, children!" Dumbledore's voice boomed through the Great Hall as he stood on his podium, capturing the attention of all. "Welcome back to another magnificent year at Hogwarts! We do have two notable changes in staffing this year. It is with great pleasure that we welcome back Professor Grubbly Plank, who will be taking care of the Magical Creatures class during Professor Hagrid's temporary absence."

Dumbledore paused, allowing the applause to ripple through the students and staff, acknowledging their appreciation for Professor Plank's return.

"Furthermore, I am delighted to introduce our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Dolores Umbridge."

A small, ominous chuckle escaped Umbridge's lips as Dumbledore announced her name, her demeanor already intriguing and unsettling the gathered crowd.

Oliver immediately recognized her. "She was at my trial. Both she and Fudge were really trying to get me convicted," Oliver whispered to Hermione.

"What?!" Hermione whispered back, her eyes widening in surprise and concern.

As their attention shifted back to Dumbledore, he continued his speech. "And I am sure you will all join me in wishing Professor Umbridge good luck in her new position."

However, before Dumbledore could proceed further, Umbridge cleared her throat, effectively capturing everyone's attention. With a disingenuous smile on her face, she confidently rose from her seat and made her way to the front of the room, standing beside Dumbledore.

"Thank you, Headmaster, for those kind words of welcome," Umbridge began, her tone falsely pleasant. "And how lovely it is to see all your bright, happy faces smiling up at me. I am certain that we will all become very good friends in the time to come."

"Yeah, I'm sure we will," Oliver muttered under his breath, making sure only Hermione could hear his skeptical response.

As Umbridge continued her speech, the room grew tense with an underlying feeling of unease. Her words echoed through the Great Hall, causing a ripple of uncertainty among the students and staff.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance," Umbridge proclaimed, her voice carrying a hint of authority. "Although each Headmaster has brought something new to this historic school."

With a smile, Umbridge directed her gaze towards Dumbledore, seeking his validation for her statement. In response, Dumbledore gracefully returned the smile, bowing slightly to acknowledge her presence.