Eyes Of The Snake

Oliver struggled to walk, his legs seemingly having given out on him. Hermione and McGonagall flanked him, providing support as they escorted him to Dumbledore's office, where he recounted the unsettling vision that had plagued his sleep.

Seated in a chair, facing away from Oliver, Dumbledore inquired, "How did you see this?"

"Um... I don't know, inside my head, I guess. Why does it matter?" Oliver responded, his voice shaky.

"You misunderstand me," Dumbledore said calmly. "I mean, can you remember where you were positioned? Were you perhaps standing next to Mr. Weasley or looking on from above?"

Initially puzzled, Oliver took a few seconds to process the question. Then, it all clicked. "I was seeing through its eyes. It must have been a snake."

Dumbledore walked purposefully to a portrait to relay instructions. "Everhardt, Arthur's on guard duty tonight. Make sure he is found by the right people."

"Sir, please-" Oliver began, but Dumbledore swiftly cut him off, moving to address another portrait without acknowledging Oliver's plea.

"Phineas, you must go to your portrait at Grimmauld Place. Tell them that Arthur Weasley is gravely injured, and his children will be sent by Portkey."

Frustration welled up within Oliver as Dumbledore continued to dismiss him without a glance.

"LOOK AT ME!" Oliver shouted in anger, the force of his voice demanding attention.

Finally, Dumbledore halted in his tracks, turning to meet Oliver's gaze.

"What's happening to me?" Oliver questioned, his voice trembling with a mixture of fear and confusion.

Dumbledore remained silent, his eyes reflecting concern as he studied Oliver.

Abruptly, the sound of approaching footsteps reached Oliver's ears.

"You wished to see me, Headmaster?" Snape inquired, entering the scene with an air of calculated composure.

"Well, Severus, I'm afraid we can't wait. Not even until the morning. Otherwise, we will all be vulnerable," Dumbledore declared.

Snape nodded with a grave understanding. "Right away, Headmaster."

Without hesitation, Snape seized Oliver's arm and briskly led him out of the office. Their destination was a secluded spot tucked away in the depths of Hogwarts' basement. Once there, Snape forcefully seated Oliver in a chair.

"What's happening?" Oliver questioned, his uncertainty palpable.

"It appears there is a connection between you and the Dark Lord. Whether he is aware of the connection is, for the moment, unclear," Snape explained, reaching into his desk to retrieve an assortment of foreboding tools.

"Pray he remains ignorant," Snape advised with a somber tone.

"So if he knows about it... he'll be able to read my mind?" Oliver inquired, anxiety lacing his words.

"Read it, control it, unhinge it. In the past, it was often the Dark Lord's pleasure to invade the minds of his victims, creating visions to torture them into madness," Snape elucidated, his pace deliberate as he slowly approached Oliver, intensifying the gravity of the impending ordeal.

"Only after extracting the last exquisite ounce of agony, only when he had them literally begging for death would he finally kill them."

Snape took a dramatic pause, allowing the weight of his words to settle in the room.

Fear tightened its grip on Oliver, manifesting in heavy, anxious breaths.

"Used properly, the power of Occlumency will help shield you from access or influence. In these lessons, I will attempt to penetrate your mind. You will attempt to resist."