First Class

The first Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson was about to begin, and Oliver nervously took a seat next to Hermione.

The students sitting beside him were goofing off, enchanting a paper airplane to fly on its own. Laughter filled the room as the airplane gracefully glided through the air. However, their joy was short-lived as the airplane suddenly burst into flames, disintegrating before their eyes.

Startled by the commotion, everyone's attention turned to Umbridge, who stood there with her wand in hand. The room fell into an immediate silence.

"Good morning, children," Umbridge greeted them with a sickly sweet smile.

Umbridge, holding her wand in a firm grip, began to write on the chalkboard at the front of the classroom. "Ordinary Wizarding Level Examinations, commonly known as OWLS. Study diligently, and you shall be duly rewarded. Negligence, on the other hand, may result in grave consequences," she proclaimed.

With a swift flick of her wand, the books positioned neatly on her desk started distributing themselves to the awaiting students, gliding through the air effortlessly.

"Your previous instruction in this subject has been inconsistent and woefully inadequate. Fear not, as you will henceforth follow a meticulously structured, Ministry-approved curriculum of defensive magic!" Umbridge declared with a self-righteous air.

Unable to contain her curiosity, Hermione raised her hand.

"Yes, Miss Granger?" Umbridge acknowledged, her tone dripping with condescension.

Hermione, her voice tinged with skepticism, questioned, "There's nothing in here about using defensive spells."

"Using spells?!" Umbridge exclaimed, her voice dripping with exaggerated drama. She then burst into a loud, unsettling giggle. "Oh, my dear students, I don't understand why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

Confusion clouded Oliver's face as he voiced his bewilderment. "So, we won't be using magic at all?"

Umbridge's smile widened, her tone condescending. "No, Mr. Montclair, you will be learning about defensive spells in a secure and risk-free manner!"

Oliver couldn't contain his skepticism as he challenged her statement. "But how is that going to help us if we ever get attacked? It certainly won't be risk-free out there."

Umbridge addressed the class in a firm and dismissive manner as she turned her back to them. "Students will raise their hand when they wish to speak."

Umbridge took a deliberate pause, her fake smile returning as she resumed her condescending tone. "It is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge would be sufficient to get you through your examinations, which, after all, is what school is about!"

Oliver, his frustration mounting, couldn't help but challenge Umbridge once more. "Yeah, but how is theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there? The only way to truly prepare is to gain firsthand experience."

Umbridge's composure remained intact, but a flicker of annoyance flashed in her eyes as Oliver continued to question her methods.

"There is nothing out there, dear. Who do you imagine would want to attack children, hmm?"

A sarcastic smirk found its way onto Oliver's face as he retorted, "Oh, I don't know, maybe... Lord Voldemort, perhaps."

The classroom fell into an uneasy silence as the weight of Oliver's words hung in the air.

Umbridge's face immediately fell, contorting into a mix of anger, fear, and sadness, a mirror of the conflicting emotions warring within her.

"Now let me make this perfectly clear," Umbridge began, her voice strained with a sinister undertone. "You have been told that a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie!"