Chapter 1: Nice to meet you

I was leaving the country for the first time.

I had the opportunity to leave, thanks to my aunt and grandparents.

I don't know what lies ahead of me but I was sure that I was super excited to see the snow, the tall buildings and the busy streets that I've seen in the movies.

Getting my visa wasn't easy, I had to rely on luck and prayers and thank God, I got it in one shot!

All throughout the day, I thought of the possible difficulties I'll be facing and what I can do once I settle.

Then I drifted to sleep.

The next thing I know, I was shaken hard by my grandfather that I jolted in my seat.

"Hey, Lizzie. Wake up, we're here in Korea."

We had a connecting flight from Seoul to Texas.

I wanted to go on tour in Korea and eat those street food that I've seen in dramas and movies.

Thinking about food, it made me a bit hungry so I bought snacks for me and for my folks. 

As soon as I finished buying the drinks, I heard girls screaming from afar.

I wanted to take a look about the ruckus.

But I was too short to take a peak.

Just when I turned around, I bumped into a guy. 

He was wearing red rugged pants, a loose shirt, a sunglasses bigger than his face, a black mask and a beanie cap.

I apologized to him in English, hoping he can understand.

But he was speaking in Korean and I couldn't understand a thing he was saying.

Then I said in a low voice,

"Obviously, I didn't see you. But you saw me so you should have watched where you're going."

To my surprise, he spoke in English

"You watch where you're going next time."

Surprised and embarrassed, I bowed my head and left.

I started to mumble words and was making faces.

I went back to where I left my grandparents and handed them the snacks I bought. 

I took out my iPod and listened to some music to kill some time.

I started to nod my head in sync with the beat and was even singing along with it. 

Then suddenly, someone tapped me on my shoulder, I turned to look and was in awe to see a handsome chinky-eyed, smiling face.

He said something in Korean.

I stared at him blankly and said, "Huh?"

"I'm sorry. I said is this seat taken?" he said it fluently.

"Oh no. You can sit here if you want to." I smiled at him.

At the back of my mind, I told myself that this guy is familiar. Where have I seen him?

So, I went back to my business of listening some music with one earphone on, so I could hear the announcements.

Then again, this guy started talking to me,

"Is this your first time here in Korea?"

I nodded and said "Yeah."

Then slowly I removed my other earphone.