CHAPTER 1| Dead?

(2 years before)

(2 years before)

TW: mentions of dead bodies.

GIOVANNI'S POV:

IT'S BEEN a year since Azalea disappeared. No one has really been able to find anything different or out of place, and with every search that comes up short, this family cracks even more.

Everyone is distant, grown way colder than last time. We barely even see eachother anymore, and if we do, a mere nod or hello is exchanged.

At first, Elijah tried checking up on everyone― basically the only one who actually made an effort to try bring this family together again. Though, normally he would get brushed off by us, so he stopped and played a bigger part in finding Azalea.

And still yet, after a whole fucking year, we have no idea where she is. It was like she was never there, never here. I'm starting to doubt myself.

And for the first time in 22 years, I feel myself going crazy. Absolutely fucking mental. It's so so extremely wrong but I'm starting to curse my own father. Wish he was alive to carry all my burdens further and continue taking his anger out on me. I'd take all the hits, punches and kicks in the world than deal with all this right now.

It makes my head spin. Go to places I would never even consider before. I hate this. It feels like she's dead, or alive and never coming back. It makes me wonder if we did anything wrong― if maybe we hurt her in some sort of way. Twisted her mind and protected her from what she didn't need protecting from. Did too much, or prehaps she found out about the mafia and ran.

Not knowing is the worst thing to happen to me in this situation.

I would do anything to get my little sister back.

Fuck, I can't help but blame it all on myself. I'm so so fucking stupid for leaving her alone that night. For leaving the office and jumping straight into a car with everyone but her, just so I could suprise her with flimsy tinsel decorations and cutesy little christmas banners. So I could surprise someone that'd disappeared. I'm starting to hate myself. To wish I was anyone but me.

But not in these 365+ days have I shed a tear. I've simply been too busy for it.

I know, I'm the worst fucking older brother alive. Elijah does it better than anyone, then I'm here― forgetting myself as well as everyone else. We're all falling apart, holding on to the smallest part of hope that she's out there somewhere and will be found, or will  find herself back to us like last time. But I'm not doing enough. Never enough. They can't even say ger fucking name without breaking down.

But I do my best to protect Elliott from all this, though I'm sure he knows. He's 17 now and will know of our affairs next year. Just one year of protecting him from the outside world.

"Giovanni!?" Elijah almost snaps, waving his hands in front of my face. My thoughts are instantly shoved to the back of my mind as I mould my expression to become stone cold.