Chapter 15: Breakthrough

[ Limit breaker  (lvl 1)

Increases maximum level by 10
Cost: Receivers experience
Cooldown: 24 hours

Description: Consume all of a persons accumulated experience in order to increase their maximum level potential. The chosen person must have reached their maximum level.

Limit breaker grants the caster a random permanent buff based on the attribute of the receiver it was used on. ]

Limit breaker. A skill I once detested because it had no immediate use at my time of need, but now shows it's true strength.

'With a skill like this, no one will ever need to succumb to their dog shit level caps.' I thought after casting it on Aremi.

He slowly opened his eyes as if he was expecting it to hurt, and then carefully opened up his stat screen. With one eye shut and another peaking at his maximum level, he suddenly screamed.

"Woooah! Heather look, my level cap really increased!"

"Oh my god... oh my god?"

Aremi examined his stat screen with stars in his eyes. Since he reached his maximum level at sixteen this would be the first time he could level up again in three years.

[ Stat screen ]

Name: Aremi Reinhardt
Type: Mage
Level: 0/36

[Health] 100/100
[Stamina] 20/20
[Mana] 20/20

[Stat points]
Available points: 0

Vitality: 10 +
Strength: 10 +
Agility: 10 +
Intelligence: 10 +
Dexterity: 10 +
Faith: 10 +
Luck: 10 +

"What a incredible buffing spell, I'm jealous. But hmm... how should I say this, you're kind of really weak now?" Heather mentioned as she looked closely.

"...Oh wait what, I didn't even notice that."

Aremi had a complicated expression of mixed thoughts. On one hand he was now able to become permanently stronger, but on another another hand all his hard work was gone with no trace.

"I guess this is the price to pay for such a unique buff."

I agreed. As much as we may want it, nothing comes that easy and such a powerful buff honestly shouldn't even exist. "In the long run it'll definitely be worth it though. As long as you can quickly level back up there shouldn't be too much of an issue."

"That's true if he can level up fast, but in general that's not really a thing."

Heather voiced her concerns. She was not only a pretty face, but the strongest out of the three of us, and for good reason. "The leading cause of death in young people is due to new awakeners running into battles they can't win. Even after the arms together law was made, over 40% of new awakeners constantly still die in battle."

The arms together law. It was a national law made 89 years ago after there was a great calamity where 92% of that years awakeners died gruesomely in a new dungeon that was recently discovered.

Because parties weren't mandatory at the time, they all rushed in there alone to reap the rewards for themselves. In the end the dungeon was completed, but only after the most talented awakeners came together and the rest perished.

"Due to this it's mandatory that wanderers form a party of at least 6 people, which fairly distributes experienced between each member based on contributions. Even then, low ranked wanderers rarely get expeditions of the same rank or higher due to the intense competition."

Aremi closed his eyes and took a deep breath. It was clear he thought of this exact subject many times before.

"Which is why it took me four years to reach level twenty six. The safety rules protects us but also hinders individual growth. It makes it seem like the association cares about us, but the truth is that that rule was an excuse to control the growth of anyone who could oppose them."