12|Two People Who Got Stuck Together

Emilia's POV

Emilia's POV

I flinched as I heard Santo and his father yelling at each other from outside.

His mother gave me a smile out of embarrassment. "I'm so sorry you have to hear this. Those two are always at it."

"That's okay. Is there anything I can help you with?" I asked as I tried to be a good daughter-in-law.

To be honest, I wasn't sure what to do since there isn't a textbook on these kinds of things.

She thought for a second before she stood up. "Follow me, dear."

I did what she requested and followed her upstairs into a bedroom.

The room was medium-sized with cream walls. The queen-sized bed, which was pushed against one of the walls, was neatly made with a dark blue comforter and matching pillows.

There were a few trophies and four picture frames on the side and a broken television on the floor.

"This is Santo's room," she said as she fixed the sheets which were already neat. "I clean this and his brother's room every day just in case they decide to return home."

I walked over to the picture frames where I saw two little boys with bright smiles holding a trophy on a golf course. In each picture, the little boys grew taller and aged. Their smiles slowly faded.

"That is Santo and his brother," his mother said with a smile as she picked it up. "The two loved to play golf. I don't know why they enjoyed it so much. All the other children used to make fun of them for liking such a boring sport."

I smiled when I watched Little Santo. In the picture that I held, his front teeth were missing and his hair wasn't fully grown out.

His brother looked different from him. He had wide eyes and his hair was brown. He was shorter than Santo even though he was older.

"Santo adored Stefan," she said as her smile faded. "The two were inseparable."

I turned to her with a sad look. "I'm really sorry about your son, Mrs. Valentino."

She laughed. "Don't be, dear. As long as he is happy wherever he is, I don't mind."

"What about Santo?" I asked without thinking. "Do you think he is happy?"

She looked thrown off by my question.

It's not like I care about Santo but he still deserves happiness too. His constant mood swings and anger prove that he isn't.

I turned back to the picture. "Forget I asked. That was rude of me."

"Of course I do," she spoke. "That is what I want most in this world."

I looked at her again as tears filled her asked.

"It's my fault that he is like this," she said. "I couldn't keep my promise and now he hates me."