19|The Small Details

Santo's POV

Santo's POV

"Oh," she awkwardly said as he put on her skirt.

I've never felt so humiliated in my life.

I couldn't stop thanking Dante for calling at the time that he did. He saved my ass.

The one time I didn't want her to notice, she did.

Being in a sexless marriage with a wife who had the body of a goddess was taking a toll on me.

"What are you reading?" I asked to remove some of the awkwardness from the air.

She smiled as she went back on the blanket and I knew she had already forgotten about the awkward mess we were in a second ago.

Emilia was like a puppy. If you distract her, she'll forget all about what happened earlier.

For the time we spent together, I picked up on that.

I picked up on a lot of things actually. I mean it's apart my job to notice.

As a mafia leader, you have to pick up on the small things. You have to be able to tell when someone's lying or not. You have to be able to read them like a book.

Emilia was easy to read and I know she purposely did that. She wants me to know how she feels.

She loves the attention.

She smiles every time she's happy and subconsciously bounces her leg when she's excited. She keeps her hair down when she is in a good mood but ties it back up when she's not.

She pretends not to be hurt when I slip up and say things I don't mean, however, she fails miserably. I can see the hurt all over her face.

She is sensitive and hates when she is left alone.

That's one thing I think we both have in common. We are fine when left temporarily but never fine when left permanently.

"It's this romance book I have been wanting to read for a very long time," she answered proudly as she continued to read her book. "Do you like reading?"

"No," I answered honestly. "I rather kill people."

She immediately deadpanned. "You had to ruin the moment, didn't you?"

I smiled. "What? You asked me a question so I answered honestly."

I noticed that I have been smiling a lot lately. It feels nice to have someone to joke around with.

Even though I can't stand her most of the time she still makes it easy for me to talk to her.

It's been a while since I had that.

I used to smile with Dante but then he got married and we barely saw each other outside of work. Then, when Stefan ran away, there was no one to smile with; not that I could've managed to smile either way.