Chapter eighteen

Kaitlin

Nothing can come close to the pride I had coursing through my veins as I watched Damien, he has changed in so many ways, but over all I was proud of the man he has become.

Something still felt wrong. I watched as my father and my mate fought against each other. I was beyond grateful that Damien was still alive, and healthy but I couldn't stand the sight before me. Yes my father has been horrible these past few months but before any of this happened he was a good man. I wanted him to experience the pain he made Damien and I suffer but I didn't want him dead, I had already lost one parent.

My sobs got louder as I ran towards the two. I needed to stop them.

"Damien stop."

He stilled.

I crouched down so I was next to the two wolves.

"Damien, I know the pain we experienced was unbearable but I just can't let this happen. He may have been the reason we both almost died but he'll always be my father. Please don't do this."

My hands covered my face as tried to quite down my sobs.

Movements from beside me caused me to remove my hands and open my eyes. Damien and my father stood in human form, as if wary about each others own movements. My dad no longer had a scowl on his face, instead he looked emotionless. Damien on the other hand had tears in his eyes. He wrapped his arms around me and held me as we both cried. I watched as my dad turned away and walked in the direction of the pack house.

I tightened my arms around Damien's form and smiled. After everything we had been through we finally had each other.

****

Days went by and the pack was finally starting to go back to normal. I hadn't seen my dad since the day Damien and his friends entered our pack. I didn't know what he was thinking, but as long as I had my mate I didn't care.

We were currently deciding where we would live, and how soon we could manage to get out of here.

It was when we heard a gun shot we both sprang off the chairs and ran towards the noise. My heart beat only increased as we ran in the direction of my fathers office.

As Damien kicked down the office door the last thing I thought I'd see was my father with a bullet hole in the side of his head. I immediately collapsed. Damien looked just as shocked as myself. I stayed on the floor as Damien approached the desk where my father sat, motionless.

He was dead.

My father had killed himself.

A crowd had gathered outside the office, my pack members cried over their dead alpha while I cried for my dead father.

Damien stood over my fathers dead body and lifted a paper that was obviously written for whoever discovered the dead body first. He lifted the paper and looked at me, as if asking me if he should read it in front of everyone. I stood up and ran towards my dad. I cried, I screamed, I begged him to wake up, but nothing changed.

Damien came to stand next to me, and pulled me into his arms. "He's gone," I whispered.

"Read the paper Damien." It was the Beta who demanded it.

Damien slowly released me and cleared his throat before he began reading.

"My dear Kaitlin,

I'm so sorry. I'm sorry for everything I've done to you, and your mate, Damien. If I could take it all back, and start over I would. I want you to know that this is what's best for me. I am finally seeing your mother again, can you believe that? I love you more than words can explain, and I'm sure you are in good hands. As for my pack, I leave the alpha position to Damien. I hope you, your mate, and the pack will forgive me for all the harm, and pain I have caused anyone. Smile. That's my last request, never stop smiling. I am proud of the woman you have grown up to be, I'm sure your mother is just as proud. Again, I love you."

By the time Damien had stopped reading I felt like I couldn't breathe.

What more will life throw at me?

_____________________________
I have never cried as much as I cried while working on this chapter.

Did any of you expect that to happen?

Leave your thoughts in the comments section, and please remember to vote!

-Sarah