Chapter twenty two

Kaitlin

Damien had left the pack house in the middle of the night to check on a "situation" as he put it. I was worried. He didn't explain what the situation was but I knew it had to be something dangerous for him to leave at the time he did.

I hadn't slept since then. Our lives were finally going back to normal and then this happens, I had every right to worry. I just couldn't bear to lose anyone else.

The betas mate, Jen, joined me in the kitchen.

"Couldn't sleep, huh?"

I nodded stiffly. Her mate had gone with Damien as well, and I guess she was having the same problem as me.

"I know this is hard on you, they're both so important to all of us, you'll need to get used to things like this. Damien is the alpha now, he's going to go out of his way to make sure we're all protected. It's easier if you try not to let yourself get so worked up, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. There really isn't much we can do to stop them."

I knew what she was saying was right, but it was going to take a lot more than that to help me calm down.

Just then we heard footsteps. I was on my feet running towards the door because Damien's scent had hit me.

As soon as I saw him I was able to breathe again.

"I was so worried."

He chuckled and pulled me tighter against his body.

"I was only gone a few hours, and it wasn't as dangerous as you're thinking it was."

"Shut up." I smiled against his chest.

**
A few weeks later Damien finally told me what he had been working so hard on.

Turns out he had starting building a pack orphanage.

I loved the idea! Obviously I was more than willing to help him get this done.

Damien's childhood hadn't been what we could call perfect, and because I am unable to bare children we had previously discussed doing this but we never finalized anything. Now I understand why Damien was being so secretive about this. He wanted to surprise me.

"I really hope the kids enjoy this as much as we want them to," he whispered as we finished painting the walls.

I nodded in agreement because that was the main point behind this. We both just wanted the kids to be happy, and safe.

"Maybe we could adopt a few of them," I added. Damiens eyes lit up. "That would be perfect," he answered. "For the children who end up staying here, I want to give them everything. I don't want them feeling bad if they aren't who we take home."

Many of the female pack members offered to spend their days there so they could monitor the children. This would allow them to feel maternal love and I, of course would be here as much as possible.

We'd also went ahead and set up guard shifts so everyone would be protected at all times, we did not want to risk anything happening on our watch.

This was a huge step for Damien and I and as the days went on we grew closer, and closer. We had forgotten about the past and focused on the present and our future.

————
Hi everyone!

I'm debating on ending this story here. Obviously, I would love to write about the children they end up adopting which is why I am not going to "officially announce" that this is the end but it'll probably be a while before I update again.

Thanks for reading!

Sarah