Escape

(A/N: So real of you, Kaveh)

Alhaitham's POV

I saw (Y/n) make eye contact with Kaveh over my shoulder. She looked hurt, angry and I could tell she wanted to get out of here as soon as she could. I looked back at Kaveh, who was glaring daggers at her. She did the same.

'Well, well, if it isn't (Y/n) (L/n).' Kaveh said, walking up to us

'Urgh, it's you.' she spat back. 'What do you want?'

'I need to have a little chat with you.' he responded, staring her down.

She was trying her best to keep eye contact with him, but she was struggling a lot. I could tell she wants to get outta here right now.

'I need to speak to you about your new job.' I said, making an excuse to get her out of this problem

Her eyes widened in surprise before she nodded.

'Mind your own business, Alhaitham! I was speaking to her first!' Kaveh yelled

'I am her boss Kaveh.' I responded cooly, 'I must speak with my employee.'

'What gives you the right to just yank her away.'

'Did you forget? I'm the Grand Acting Sage of Sumeru.' I said, narrowing my eyes at him. 'And what gives you the right to yank her away? She clearly doesn't want to speak to you.'

Kaveh stared at me, speechless.

'Now shall we Senior (Y/n)?' I said, extending my hand for her to take

Kaveh's POV

I heard what she said, and it made me mad. Then again, I want to know why she said what she did. Alhaitham had his hand outstretched to her, waiting for her to take it. She looked between us for a few moments before taking his hand. They walked away from me hand in hand, and he smirked. Alhaitham, that bastard had the audacity to smirk at me. I glared at the two as they walked away.

'Urgh, whatever, screw her.' I muttered to myself, 'I'm here to visit my father's grave anyway.'

I turned to my father's grave, and from the corner of my eye, I saw another gravestone. It was the same one (Y/n) had been standing by. Were these two her parents? The same parents that Auntie Dara was talking about?

'William and Kaur (L/n)...' I muttered to myself

(Y/n)'s POV

'Thank you.' I finally said

'For what?' Alhaitham said nonchalantly

'For getting me out of that situation with Kaveh.' I responded, 'Why did you help me?'

'Well, Kaveh was clearly making you uncomfortable.' he responded with a shrug. 'It is basic decency. The fact that he lacks it disappoints me.'

'There's another reason, too, isn't there?' I said, crossing my arms.

'There is.' he said. 'I want to know why you hate Kaveh so much.'

'Well...i-it's because he's a dick.' I said rapidly

'I know he's an asshole. I live with him, but that isn't the reason, is it?'

'Well, not really.' I said, looking away while fiddling with my sleeve

'Then what is it? You two were best friends when you were younger. You two dissed and bitched about me all the time back then.'

I felt my cheeks burn from embarrassment. I dissed my boss and called him a little punk when I was younger. I was an idiot. Archons (Y/n)!

'Oh...right.' I stuttered, 'S-Sorry about that.'

'I don't care about that.' he said, shaking his head. 'I want to know why you hate him so much.'

I froze. No one knew about the day in the desert besides my Uncle Wrio. What if this ruins my job!? What if he hands me to the General Mahamatra!? Who even is the General Mahamatra? Bah! I'm getting off-topic. Archons, if Kaveh comes to finish me off. No, no, no, this is not good!

'(Y/n)?' Alhaitham said again, breaking me out of my thoughts.

'I hate him because he's an asshole! It's not that deep.'

'Something hurt you, and he was the cause.' he said

'I-'

'Your body is shaking.' he said, taking my hand, and I felt it shudder in his hand.

I let out a breath I didn't know I had been holding in.

'Fine...there is a reason our friendship broke.' I confessed, 'The true reason he hates me is because I killed his father.'

'W-What!?' Alhaitham said, dropping my wrist in surprise

'W-Wait, please just hear me out!' I begged, 'It was an accident! A-All of it. I never meant to do it! I never meant to hurt Uncle Kian.'

'An accident?' he asked confused.

I felt my eyes sting a bit. The tears were there, but I couldn't let them out.

'It happened thirteen years ago. In my defense, it was from self-defense, and Kaveh's father was no saint either.' I said, balling up my fists. 'What Kaveh didn't know is that he killed my Mother first. Kian was Kaur (L/n)'s murderer.'

'But how?' he asked me with an eyebrow raised. 'People said a bunch of eremites killed her.'

I looked around and saw that the streets were bustling with people all around. Spies, merchants, guards? All of those people could be here, too. Alhaitham picked up on my nervous demeanor and sighed.

'Let's get out of here.' he said. 'We'll speak in my office. No one will disturb us there.'

I nodded and followed after him. We entered his office, and I sat on a seat parallel to him. No matter how much I tried I couldn't keep eye contact with him. We sat in silence for a few moments before he spoke up again.

'You seem...nervous.'

Yeah, no shit, Sherlock! I'm about to tell you about the worst day of my life. The secret only one person knows about. Something that can put me in jail! I wanted to say those things, but I kept those thoughts to myself. I am speaking to the Acting Grand Master. Who is my boss...and practically everyone's boss.

'Ahah yeah, I am nervous...because only one person knows about what happened that day. My Uncle Wrio.' I responded, 'And now you will too.'

He nodded in response.

'I will tell you the whole story on one condition.' I said with my eyes growing cold and harsh. 'You have to promise not to tell a single soul about this, or I will kill you.'

Alhaitham's POV

I have never been this intimidated by a woman like this before...(Y/n) was clearly shorter than me, but she looked extremely dangerous.

'With Lesser Lord Kusanali as my witness, I promise not to tell a single soul.' I said firmly, 'What happens in this room stays in the room.'

'Wonderful!' she said with a smile