𝐕

୨୧ 𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐆𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐃 ୨୧

SERAPHINA AND CORIOLANUS REMAINED SEATED SIDE BY SIDE, their gaze fixed on the screens broadcasting the District 12 Reaping ceremony

The atmosphere in the room shifted, a subtle undercurrent of anticipation threading through the air as the images unfolded.

The screen illuminated with the stark reality of District 12— a place of coal-stained faces and worn-out clothing. As the Capitol spectators observed,

Coriolanus' expression remained stoic, a mask concealing the complexity of his thoughts.

Beside him, Seraphina observed the scene with a discerning eye, her emerald gaze reflecting a mix of curiosity and calculation.

The Reaping scene played out, capturing the tribulations of life in the poorest district.

The camera panned across the faces of the gathered children, each one carrying the weight of their circumstances.

"The District Twelve girl tribute is Lucy Gray Baird," the mayor said into a mic.

The camera swept over the crowd of gray, hungry faces in gray, shapeless clothing, seeking the tribute.

It zoomed in toward a disturbance, girls drawing back from the unfortunate chosen one.

As the District 12 girl stepped forward, a palpable tension gripped the room. The audience gave a surprised murmur at the sight of her.

Lucy Gray Baird stood upright in a dress made of a rainbow of ruffles, now raggedy but once fancy.

Her dark, curly hair was pulled up and woven with limp wildflowers. Her colorful ensemble drew the eye, as to a tattered butterfly in a field of moths.

She did not make straight for the stage but began to weave through the girls off to her right.

"What is that dress?" Arachne voiced out as she eyed the girl's dress from the screen.

"Is she some sort of clown?"

It happened quickly.

The dip of her hand into the ruffles at her hip, the wriggle of bright green transported from her pocket and deposited down the collar of a smirking redhead's blouse, the rustle of her skirt as she moved on.

Focus stayed on the victim, her smirk changing to an expression of horror, her shrieks as she fell to the ground, pawing at her clothes, and the shouts of the mayor.

And in the background, her assailant was still weaving, still gliding her way to the stage, not looking back even once.

Seraphina's emerald eyes widened in a mix of intrigue and amusement.

The daring move by Lucy Gray, the District 12 tribute, injecting a snake into the mayor's daughter's dress, added an unforeseen twist to the Reaping ceremony.