𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈

୨୧ 𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐑𝐄𝐄 ୨୧

THE AFTERNOON SUN CAST  LONG SHADOWS OVER THE SOMBER GATHERING AT THE HANGING TREE

THE AFTERNOON SUN CAST  LONG SHADOWS OVER THE SOMBER GATHERING AT THE HANGING TREE. The people of District 12 had assembled to witness the grim spectacle of the rebels' execution.

Spruce and his sister Lil stood on the platform, their faces marked by the anticipation of the impending fate. A vacant noose swayed ominously, hinting at another execution to come.

Coriolanus, stationed with the Peacekeepers in front of the Hanging Tree, surveyed the crowd. Tension hung in the air as the residents of District 12 watched the proceedings with a mix of fear and resignation.

The empty noose served as a chilling reminder of the consequences of rebellion.

His gaze shifted to Lucy Gray, her face etched with fear, as Commander Hoff stepped forward to address the assembled onlookers.

"Three years... I fought for the Capitol during the war. I've been angry."

Coriolanus noted Lucy Gray's apprehension, a mixture of sympathy and detachment playing across his features.

He had grown adept at concealing his true emotions, wearing a mask of composure even as he watched the unfolding tragedy with a sense of power and satisfaction.

Commander Hoff's voice rang out, delivering a stern speech about the consequences of rebellion and the price that must be paid.

Coriolanus kept a watchful eye on Lucy Gray, observing her every reaction. The Hanging Tree, a symbol of punishment and control, loomed in the background, casting a haunting shadow over the scene.

"But this is the first time I've felt ashamed," said Commander Hoff.

As the tension built, Coriolanus couldn't shake the feeling that the events unfolding around him were not merely a spectacle of justice but also a reflection of the tangled web of manipulation and rebellion in which he found himself entwined in.

"Get the other one up here!" Commander Hoff yelled.

Coriolanus' eyes widened as Commander Hoff's command echoed through the air.

The crowd, like a reluctant tide, began to part, creating a narrow path leading to the vacant noose. The uneasy hush of the onlookers intensified, their eyes fixed on the unfolding scene.

In the midst of the crowd, two Peacekeepers emerged, dragging the battered and bruised figure of Sejanus Plinth.

The spectacle was met with a collective gasp from the gathered District 12 residents. Coriolanus felt a mixture of shock and apprehension as he watched Sejanus being forcefully brought forward.

His mind raced, grappling with a surge of conflicting emotions. Guilt clawed at him, a bitter reminder that his actions had led to this moment.

Yet, beneath the guilt, a seed of self-preservation took root. Sejanus, once a friend, now stood as both a casualty and a potential threat to Coriolanus' carefully crafted facade.