Siblings

My eyes watered when she recounted her story. My Val. My son. He protected her in the caves and guided her out. Perhaps softened the impact of her fall so she could recover quicker. Just when I couldn't be prouder of my eldest....even after his mortal life. My boy, watching over his sister.

"Throughout everything he was there. You cannot imagine the comfort of knowing I was never alone." Emma breathed. "I would have liked to have talked with him more. He's the only other one like me. He said I'd be able to contact him, but I've no idea how."

"If he's your guardian angel, he'll come to you when you need him." I sat in Emma's bed as she lay her body in bed  and rested her head on my shoulder, the only way she could with me, being taller.  "I figured he was watching over you. When you were a little girl, you used to play with an imaginary friend whenever you were alone. At least, I thought it was an imaginary friend until one day when I asked about him you told me it you were playing with your brother. "

"I don't remember that." Emma blinked. 

"You were very young." I explained. "You were three when I asked you about your friend I couldn't see and when you answered you were playing with your brother, I was confused. 'Aiden's not here.' I said. Then you shook your head and told me, and I will always remember this. 'No my bigger brother. The one with special marks like me.' And you showed me your glyphs on your arm.'"

"Holy shit." Emma's eyes widened. "I don't remember." She subconsciously rubbed her arm. "That's what he meant when he said this was the first time in my adult life he's spoken to me. My eldest  brother was always there. Did I say anything else?"

"You did." I revealed. "You said he lived a long time ago, and when you were in my belly, he asked the angels if he could be your friend. Apparently they accepted his request. When you got older, you didn't see him, but I knew he was watching over you. It made your parting to the New World a little easier, knowing Vance and Val would watch over you when I couldn't."

I wrapped my arms around my daughter as she huddled into me.  " Mother. Valerius told me his father was killed by a vampire. He had to mean your first mate, Aurelius. Do you remember what happened?"

I paused, dread and sorrow filled my heart. "I don't, but whenever I think of him, I feel an overwhelming sadness, and a sense he died prematurely. A vampire? Did Val say who it was?"

"Only that he was too strong for him to kill, even as a seasoned vampire hunter. Whoever it was, I hope he's still not around. I do not want him meeting Richter." Emma gave me a confident look. "Brother said I was doing great with Richter... He's ready, Mom. The next time there's a threat in the commune, I'll set out with him on a real mission. I'll guide and watch over him the way Val has done with me."

"Once you're fully recovered."

"Yes. Of course." Emma closed her eyes. "No more spelunking  though. We were very fortunate in that venture, I can thank Valerius for that. Vance and Richter too. Leave it to me getting lost and injured in a  vampire infested cave."

"Like mother,  like daughter." I chuckled. "Same think happened to me."

"Really?" Emma wondered. "You were were lost in a vampire cave?"

"Yes, but thankfully not injured. It was before you were born."  I reminisced. "We were hunting vampires stupid enough to mess with Belmont village and tracked them in a cave system . I was with your father, Uncle Trevor, and Aunt Sypha. We managed to kill them, but they trapped us and separated your father and I  from your aunt and uncle. We had to find our way out."

"I'm guessing you eventually did." Emma surmised.

"Yes, but when we found the exit it was pouring! We had to stay inside the cave until it passed. It was a while but we passed the time, cuddling by the fire hearing the storm outside. Eventually Aunt Sypha and Uncle Trevor found us." I started counting her fingers.

"What are you counting?" Emma asked.

"The time between that incident and your birthday. Yes..makes sense. The times add up. We kept ourselves occupied in that cave."

"Dear lord MOTHER!!!!" Emma squeaked mortified, inching away from me. "I could have gone the rest of my immortal life without knowing that!! A cave!? Seriously!?

"Yes." I said unashamed. "The conditions were ideal and we hadn't been alone together in a long time."

"Don't talk to me again."Emma suppressed a gag and  dramatically retreated under her blanket, curling up on her side. A laugh jumped out of my throat.

"Mom!"

"Sorry! It's not that." Seeing that curled up lump under the blanket was like looking at copy of my self. "You may look like your father on the outside, but you're me on the inside."

"Good to hear." Emma remarked muffled. "Good to hear, like I didn't know that for the past few centuries."