Chapter 8: Wishful Thinking

X woke up with a dreadful feeling in the pit of his stomach. He sat up, glancing to the empty spot on Four's side of the bed. Something felt off... X sat silently, listening for any noise. No arguing, no voices, no thuds, no dishes clinking..... It was too quiet... X gulped quietly and glanced around the still bedroom, the silence becoming too loud.

He decided to get up and see if anyone was awake yet, the floorboards creaking slightly as he walked... X made his way down the dark hall, dread building up in his stomach. X got to the living room, the TV was on, but nobody was watching it. This felt strange.... He turned and looked around, scanning for signs of life. There was nothing... until he peeked into the kitchen...

X let out a sigh of relief when he saw Four sitting at the table, eating breakfast with a wide smile. He looked like he had been up late, though.. "Hi X!!" Four waved enthusiastically. "Good morning Four!" X smiled back, enjoying the cheerful mood. Four hadn't been this happy since Two showed up... wait.

Two wasn't here. X glanced around, "Where's Two?" X asked, a little concerned. "Two finally left!" Four cheerfully replied. "Left?? Why?" X didn't know whether to be hurt or worried. "They decided to get off their ass and get a job! They said not to look for them." Four smiled. X sat down, upset that Two would just leave without telling him....

"You're sure they wont be back?" X glanced up hopefully. "I'm sure." Four took another bite of his food.. X frowned, now understanding why Four was in such a good mood today.... He glanced at the dark circled under Four's eyes, which were worse than usual... "You get enough sleep..?" X leaned forwards slightly over the table, face full of concern.

Four glanced down at his food for a moment before replying quickly "Couldn't sleep." he glanced into the living room at the shine of the TV.. "Watched TV instead.." X frowned. "Oh... well uh- i have work today.. I'm gonna.. Go get ready.." X walked out, Four smiling and waving goodbye.

X made his way back to the bedroom, thinking. Why wouldn't Two say something to X? They were basically best friends.... And Two wasn't usually the type to keep to themselves.... X tried to shake off the thought, getting ready for work and heading to the door.

On his way to the door, X noticed something a little strange... there was something different....

 About the basement door...

"It's... probably nothing..."