Chapter 13: Two sides

Their arms ached as they held the file against the chains. With such limited movement, Two had to hold it at an awkward angle. They weren't even sure if this was working, but it was their only chance at escape. Two kept filing down the chain, testing its resistance every few minutes.

Finally, they got the chain filed down enough to break with a few yanks. Two quickly shifted, taking the file in their now free hand to get a better angle against the other chain. They glanced between the chains and the basement door as they worked, paranoia flooding their mind.

...

Upstairs, X woke up with a horrible headache, no memory of what had happened before being revived. He glanced around the empty room, the air warm and still, it was uncomfortable. He winced as he sat up, holding his head and trying to recall what had happened. X closed his eyes, sighing as he tried hard to recall the dream he had. Was it a dream? Surely it was, he was still here...

X slowly stood up, wincing as his head throbbed. He made his way out of the room and down the hall, not even knowing what time it was. It was sometime in the day, as the sun shone directly into the windows, lighting the hall with a painful brightness. He glanced around the rooms, no sight of Four, or Two, or anyone. Four must have gone somewhere.

He paused in front of the basement door, bad vibes radiating from it, but he didn't know where the keys went. They were on the nightstand just yesterday, but now they were nowhere to be seen. Four didn't usually take that key ring with him, just his car key and house key, so it was weird for it to be gone so suddenly.

...

On the other side of that dreadful door, Two had freed up their other hand, smiling down at their sore wrists in disbelief. They did it! Two quickly stood up, falling back down immediately as the pain in their knees made their legs give out. They wince, taking a few breaths to try and ignore the horrible pain. They don't give up their escape, though, scooting themselves towards the stairs using their arms.

Two pauses, trying to figure out how to get up without their useless legs. There was a determined expression on their face as they dragged themself up the stairs, wincing as their bloody knees scraped against each step. Each concrete edge felt like knives digging into them, but they pressed on, grunting with pain in each movement.

Having finally reached the last step, Two slumped against the door, giving themself a minute to get over the horrible pain in their knees

Having finally reached the last step, Two slumped against the door, giving themself a minute to get over the horrible pain in their knees. After a few moments, they reach up, trying the door handle. Locked, of course. Two sighs, rubbing their eyes. 

They can't risk trying to knock on the door in case Four was home, but they can't unlock it from the inside. All they could do was listen and wait. But they notice an unusual shadow coming from beneath the door...

Someone standing on the other side.