Chapter 5

Ace

The revelation that Solana and Nightshade are one in the same was met with mixed reactions. It's been a full week and the debris from that storm is finally starting to clear.

Hunter was pleasantly surprised. He admitted being a little conflicted, harboring feelings of guilt as if he was responsible for her taking on this persona. But he was also extremely turned on which was evident even without our pack bond. Him and Sol have gradually picked up where they left off four years ago. He's openly affectionate with her and she reciprocates – holding her as she does dishes, giving her a back rub on the couch, kissing her as often as he pleases.

At least when I treat her that way, I try to be more subtle about it. Not just out of respect for Eli and the issues he has with his own former mate and now learning the truth behind Nightshade, but because that's as selfish as I'll allow myself to be. I'll take my moments with her in private, her attention all on me where no one else can see the blush that diffuses down her chest when I kiss her neck or the way she purrs when my wolf calls to her.

Dean said he understood why she didn't say anything about Nightshade nor did he blame her or hold it against her. With them it was business as usual, or that's how it seemed on the surface. I feel like Dean might be putting on his people pleaser, peacekeeper act, and time will tell what he really makes of Solana and this whole situation.

Tate and Sol obviously worked out whatever they needed to that day because he came back calm and content. He's had his nose buried in his laptop all week but prefers to work wherever is closest to her — he's drawn to her in his own way. Every so often I'll catch his eyes cataloging her every move, or his hand lingering on her body in passing.

If I'm not itching to replace their touches on her with mine then I'm fighting the urge to join in. But I don't want to press my luck. I can't push her or them too far, too fast, especially when we don't know what this is or what this will become. And especially when the closer we all get to her, the further Eli pulls away.

I wake up wrapped in her warmth just like I have every morning this past week. The past three days I've also woken up with Hunter squeezed into bed behind her, sandwiching her between us, like he is this morning as well. Intentionally or not we've all been trying to keep our affections for her private, waiting to be behind closed doors before we allow ourselves to get closer to her.

I tell myself it's just all part of us navigating our new dynamic, seeing how our pieces fit — if they fit.

Today it's not just Hunter that slipped into my room. Eli sits in an armchair in a corner of the room near the foot of the bed. He's sitting slumped back in the chair wearing a sweatshirt with the hood drawn up over his head, casting shadows on his face. One arm hangs over the edge twirling amber liquid around in a tumbler while he uses the other to prop up his chin against his fist.

Not wanting to wake up Solana and Hunter, I mindlink Eli.

Is there a reason you're hanging out in the corner of my bedroom watching me sleep?

His hand stops twirling the glass and his eyes fastrack to mine before hardening and looking away again. All I get in response is a shrug.

I don't like repeating myself. I growl through our link causing Solana's nose to scrunch up unhappily and then Hunter to hold her tighter.

I'm not sure there is a reason. Certainly not one that makes any sense.  He says.

Try me.

Eli downs the rest of his drink before sitting forward resting his forearms on his knees.  It doesn't matter. It's nothing I should care about.