Chapter 11

Solana

Buried within a dense and lush forest sixty miles from the nearest neighbor sits an extraordinary building Tate identifies as the Hybrid Facility. The same one that doesn't exist on any maps. Our going theory was that the council was paying to cover it up, either by having it erased from the maps or concealed by magic the same way the Grove is concealed by my grandmother's and mother's power. What they've actually done is far more creative.

Two rectangular towers several stories tall sit parallel to each other and connect near the top by a clear skywalk. The towers themselves are not made like a typical building with glass windows and steel beams. These buildings are covered top to bottom in a mirrored facade, reflecting the wilderness of the forest back into the area it's nestled in. Anyone flying over would only see more green trees, or on a particularly clear day the blue of the sky mistaken for a lake.

It would be a wondrous feat of architectural ingenuity if I didn't know it to be a house of horrors.

Two armed guards patrol the perimeter of the building, alternating between scanning the edges of the clearing and conversing with one another.

"They don't seem to be overly concerned about security if all they have are two men out here," Hunter points out after the men circle around for the third time since we've approached close enough to see but not be seen.

"The mirrors on the buildings could be two-way, though. And if that's the case there's no telling who could be watching from the inside," Dean says and adjusts his weapons on his body just the way he likes.

"Leave the guards for now. Sol and Tate can stealth inside and get a better look once the guards loop back around." Ace doesn't like this idea, it's apparent in the tightening of his muscles, but he's a true leader and knows the strengths and limitations of his pack and uses that to make the best judgment calls he can. That's one of the things I respect most about him – how studious and thoughtful he is in his decisions. And the fact that he's decidedly been less of an Asshole recently doesn't hurt either.

"I can manage on my own," Tate says, his sleek, black leather gloves groaning as he screws the silencer onto the head of his pistol.

"I thought we were past this shit," I snarl at him.

"Force of habit," his lips pull into a tight, flat line. "Or maybe I don't want to endanger you unnecessarily," he mutters under his breath, like admitting it out loud in front of the pack would endanger his reputation.

Ace pulls me in for a kiss with no qualms about anyone bearing witness. His hand cradles the back of my head, keeping our lips pressed together for several beats before he releases me with a stern warning. "Be safe, Princess."

My eyes roll without a thought in the process of extracting myself from his arms at how overprotective and bossy he can be sometimes. Qualities I once found oppressive but I now realize are out of...well, not love. Perhaps care? Concern?

Hunter replaces Ace in front of me and gives me a send off kiss of his own with a similar command. "Stay with Tate, please."

"Yes sir," I breathe against his lips, forcing his pupils to blow out almost instantly. Gods I love wolves, it's too easy to rile them up.

"Text us once you're inside. If it's clear we'll come in and fan out in two groups. Eli, you'll go with Tate and Sol. I'll be with Hunter and Dean. That way we have a mindlink between our groups and can communicate quickly." Ace instructs us.

"Let Dean go with Tate and Sol. Hunter will be thankful for my gift once the flames start flying." Eli's suggestion may seem like it's for Hunter's wellbeing but a part of me suspects that it's so he can continue to avoid me and put distance between us. Ever since they learned the truth he's been distant and cold - and not just because of his gift.