Chapter 35

Ace

~ one month earlier ~

"Name your price," I snarl at my piece of shit father. Sol's chest is barely moving, an indication of how slow and shallow her breathing has become.

He pulls his bony fingers out of his pockets and slips off a gaudy gold ring with a ruby gem in the center. "This ring makes the wearer immune to the many protective charms the Elders have put on various rooms here. Every Elder has one."

"Name your fucking price or I'll cut it off your hand and leave you to bleed out." I don't have time for a jewelry lesson. My mate is dying in front of my eyes and I need to get to her.

"Teleport me out of here unharmed to a place of my choosing and I'll give you this ring."

"Done." I grab him by the collar of his shirt and teleport us out under his direction. As soon as the ring touches my palm I teleport back to the room where the guys are waiting.

"Bring them back to the Grove and meet us in the hospital," I instruct Rhys.

I focus on Hunter, using our bond to guide me to him. I teleport to him and with the ring I am relieved to discover my father hadn't lied, it really does work and in the next blink I finally have Sol in my arms.

Blood and organs spill out of her, hot and heavy. Griffin shoves everything back in haphazardly, frantically trying to close the wound and stop the bleeding.

"Solana, open your eyes, baby. That's it. Keep them open for me, baby." Hunter cradles her head and his hands, pleading with her to stay with us as Griffin bathes her in warm, golden light.

When I'm confident that Griffin has all of her body parts contained, I teleport us to the Grove's hospital. We land in the middle of the hallway in the same positions as when we left. On our knees, literally holding Solana together.

Ember comes flying down the hall and ushers us into a room, calling out orders to nurses and other doctors around us. Griffin keeps up his steady stream of healing light. The violent tremor in his hands causes the light to warble in a manner consistent with his terror.

Xander pulls him off of her as he screams for his father to let him stay to heal her before they teleport away.

The hall and room is becoming crowded with people either trying to save Sol or to spectate. Like a bad car crash that you can't help looking at as you purposefully drive slowly past it.

Dean, Eli, Tate, and her brothers stand behind the glass sliding door, watching the commotion in the room. Bags are being ripped open, gauze and towels are being pressed against her, medicine injected into her veins.

There's so much going on it's overwhelming, even for me. Then, just as quickly as it had started, everything stopped. The only sound to be heard was the flatline beep of her heart monitor.

I catch Hunter before he collapses and ease him into a chair. He pulls his head down with his hands and releases an anguished cry so primal it nearly brings me to my knees. Dean and Cole have Tate and Eli in a bear hug, trying to keep them upright and stopping them from running as is their usual M.O.

"Like hell you're dying on me, Solana," Ember swears under her breath. Looking up from Sol, Ember briefly searches the room before her focus lands on me and Hunter.

"Hunter, get your ass over here. You, too, alpha." She orders and the nurses by Sol make room for us to stand by her bed on either side of her. "Hands on her heart, boys. Hurry."