Chapter 16

Solana

"If I didn't know any better I'd say you were nesting again," Ace purrs from the doorway to the bedroom we've all been sharing. Ace and Hunter usually sandwich me between them, but sometimes I'll wake up for a minute with Tate wrapped around me like a squid.

With the patience of a saint, Ace watches me re-make the bed for the third time in the last hour.

I chuckle at the notion and fluff the pillows a little more vigorously. "I'm not going into heat. Sorry to disappoint you."

"Mm," he hums thoughtfully, his green eyes sparking with humor. "That is disappointing because I rather enjoyed your last heat."

My cheeks flush with color to compliment the shy smile I can't suppress at the memories, what few exist, of that time. I shrug with insincere nonchalance, "maybe we could do it again sometime."

His pupils nearly swallow his green irises whole before his eyes narrow with dark intentions and salacious promises.

He sits down on the edge of the bed nearest to the night stand I'm needlessly straightening. Heat from his large, strong hands wraps around my forearm. Gently he tugs me to face him, where he cups my face in those same warm hands.

"We're going out for a bit to stretch our legs and wings. Get some fresh air." With every word I inch a little closer to him, drawn to him by his wolf and his inner fire. "You should come with us."

I rest my forehead against his, our noses graze while our lips gravitate towards one another on instinct. There's no rush in his movement. He angles my head to deepen the kiss, his tongue caressing mine just as softly as his hands caress my skin.

Ace is always composed, his control and self-discipline rarely falters. I love his dominance and his intensity, but I love how tender he can be, too. Just for me.

We sit in that moment for a while before I break away and shake my head. "No, you guys go ahead. I'm going to stay here in case he comes back while you're out."

"It's been two days, Princess." Ace doesn't take his lips off of my skin. He simply moves from my lips down to the column of my neck that bears fresh bites and bruises from all three of them.

"All the more reason to stay." My voice cracks with unanticipated emotion. I'm worried about where Dean is and if he's alive, I'm concerned for Tate and what the worst might mean for his well-being, and I fear that Death may die without Dean here.

Ace grunts his frustration but I know it doesn't come from a place of anger. His alpha instincts call him to comfort us and reassure us, to lead us through the worst of times. I've been noticing though, over the last two days especially, that he's been lingering more. His eyes linger and track my movements, his fingertips linger on my skin, the words that are on his chest linger on the tip of his tongue but ultimately are bitten back.

He nods solemnly, "if you're sure, Princess."

"I'm sure," I give him a tight, unconvincing smile.

I don't know how my mom and dads do it. I'm growing more nauseous by the minute waiting helplessly for Dean to come home. How do they handle worrying about an entire colony? How did my parents survive being separated for months?

Dean's been missing for two days and I'm already losing sleep. I need to be busy, I need to have a purpose. Hence the compulsive cleaning and cooking.

Ace takes my hand in his and places a tender kiss in my palm. "Okay. Eli will probably stay behind with you." When Ace raises to his feet he towers over me. I'll never get used to his size, nor will I get used to the way my body responds to his.