Chapter 22

Solana

Mia is the first to disregard the Queen's orders to stay put, but given the circumstances I'm sure my mom will let it slide. She rushes from her spot on the couch over to Hunter and embraces her son like he's returned from the dead.

Which I guess in some ways, to her, he has.

I feel Dean pushing out comfort to the room, especially Tate. Seeing the love Hunter's mom has for him even after all these years apart has Tate shifting his weight uncomfortably from side to side. When I reach my hand back for his, he grabs it and accepts a reassuring squeeze.

My mom does an acceptable job schooling her emotions. I know that there's probably so much that she wants to say right now. Why didn't you tell me? I can't believe you lied to us. How could you forgive him?

I wouldn't blame her for any of those thoughts. They're the same ones that kept me up at night.

Recognizing that now is not the time for a heart to heart she keeps things strictly business. "Why are you bringing this to our attention now?" Her tone is calm and approachable.

"The meat of it is that we suspect Elena is the one who put the bounty out on Solana," Ace responds.

"Hence why we needed confidentiality for this meeting," I add.

"Not too long ago it was Alec you suspected. What changed?" My mom asks diplomatically.

"Alec has not been exculpated of wrongdoing. We went to the facility that's listed under his name, but we quickly learned that someone tipped them off that we'd be there. There are a few hundred dozen data points that implicate Elena and Alec in a large-scale trafficking operation and they are the only common denominators," Ace's frustration festers throughout his explanation. "Elena has every motive imaginable to want to cause pain and suffering to Solana."

Everyone's eyes point to the floor. After what they've just heard me admit to, they can't deny that Ace has a point. Elena's involvement in this organization is clear, but her motivation to hurt me is what makes the bounty, the poisoning, and the ambush at the facility seem like more than just a couple of coincidences.

My dad Varian rests a firm hand on my mother's shoulder. "Why don't we call it there for tonight, Love? We can reconvene tomorrow or another day. Get all the data and all the fine details. I think we need to focus on our families tonight." His voice softens ever so slightly at the end, a mixture of grief, guilt, and rage.

"I agree," she places her hand over his on her shoulder. "Runidar and Mia this room is yours, we'll step out to give you some privacy."

The guys all look at one another immediately, checking in with one another on whether this is a good idea or not. Ace nods his permission and Hunter nods his reassurance to the others that he'll be okay without us for a few minutes.

Dean, Eli, and Tate saunter off with Cole and Griffin to get a drink. Ace and I hang by the door as Ember, Xander, and my parents exit last.

"You have your mother's unbreakable spirit," Ember hugs me tightly to her. "And her insufferable way of keeping everything to yourself!"

I smile to myself in her embrace, "but yet you kept my secret."

"And yet I kept your secret," she echoes as she pulls away from me and settles back by Xander's side.

"You and I are going to discuss this," my mother threatens Ember. Then she looks at me and sighs, "oh, Sunflower."

She disappears into the shadows without another word.

"She's not mad at you, Solana." My father Ro reassures me. "Your mom favors action. Right now she desperately wants to make everything better for you. We all do. Go find her, I think it'll do you both good."