Chapter 30

Sorry for the delay! Babies were sleeping over at grandma's so we saw Dune 2 😍, and then did what parents do when the kids are out of the house. Sleep. 🤣🤣🤣
😉
— — — — —

Solana

"How long will the wolfsbane last?" A voice as acidic as its source burns in my ears.

Elena.

Just the woman I was looking for. Ideally I wouldn't be chained to a chair and drugged with wolfsbane, but I've faced worse odds.

"A few hours at least." A scratchy voice wheezes from an unknown male.

"And you're sure she won't be able to shift into either form?"

"With the amount in her system I'd be surprised if she could even use her gifts."

Mentally I roll my eyes. Like I'd need gifts to kill her.

"What about the two she was with?" Elena asks.

"Leave them to me. I'll handle it." The way he says it makes every hair on my body stand on end. I can't stomach the idea of sitting here knowing his intentions to hurt my guys and not being able to do anything about it at this very second.

"That's what you said last time, Alec! And not only did your son's little boy band escape, but we lost more than half of our guards." Elena seethes.

I refuse to allow my heart to break over Alec's betrayal and the energy that it takes not to be upset boils my blood.

"Do not call him my son," he spits at her, the force of which sends him into a wheezing and coughing fit. "We had an agreement. You get the girl, but Ace and his pack are mine."

"That was before I knew who else he had with him. I want Hunter alive. Do what you wish with the rest but if you want me to uphold my end of our agreement then you'll give me Hunter."

It makes sense that Elena wants to see Hunter. She wants to find out what happened to her kids, and when she finds out the truth she'll want to kill Hunter. What I'm struggling to reconcile is what I know of the guy who is supposed to be one of my dads' best friends and the man in this room speaking to Elena.

I risk cracking open an eye enough to see a tall, spidery looking shape of a man with ghostly grey skin littered in liver spots and no muscles to speak of – just skin and bones. This can't be Alec. I know she called him Alec but my Alec was strong and healthy the last time I saw him...not this creature who's a half step from death.

As soon as he leaves the room Elena snickers. "You can stop pretending, I know you're awake."

I tip my head up before opening my eyes fully. The fire in my eyes burns bright. She better take a good, long look because they'll be the last thing she ever fucking sees.

"Just like your mother," she sucks her teeth and shakes her head disapprovingly. "Always jumping the gun. As reckless as a wildfire."

"Lethal as one too," I quip.

"And just as blind. Indiscriminately burning everything in your path. Inescapable."