Chapter 37

Brace yourselves folks, we've come to the penultimate chapter!

this is the last chapter before epilogue  <3

— — — — —

Solana

~ present day ~

I knew from the moment my blade hit Elena's shoulder that it was going to be a painful and bloody fight.

Her gift did not disappoint.

I split myself in half trying to kill her. I felt every single slice of my blade through her skin like it was slicing through my own. Which I guess in a way it was, because I was cut open.

Still, my only regret was that I couldn't prolong her torture. Doing so would have been counterproductive to my own life. I've suffered enough on behalf of that woman, I wasn't going to subject myself to more.

She's lucky her gift was reflection. She's unlucky that I'm just crazy enough to cut her the fuck in half anyway.

Elena and I weren't the only ones who were torn apart. From our bond I can feel how tormented the guys have been feeling. I think that's why they stayed away as much as they did while I was healing. Or maybe it was Ace who told them to stay away. Either way, having them all visit me when I woke up helped heal me as much as Griffin, Ember, and the rest of the medical team did.

It feels like our prologue has ended, this search for my safety. Now that Elena's dead I want to go home with my mates and start our life without anything holding us back.

It'll probably take some time to convince the guys that I'm not made of glass, especially when this fucking nurse won't even let me use the bathroom in peace.

"I'm perfectly capable of peeing on my own. I don't need a fucking entourage just to use the bathroom." I spit at the nurse who's hassling me. I'm leaving any minute now, what does she think is going to happen once I get home? Because I sure as shit am not letting any of them follow me into the bathroom unless it's to pin me against the shower wall.

"You're not used to being on your feet, we don't want you hurting yourself."

For fuck's sake. Now she's just patronizing me.

"I'm going to hurt you if you don't get the hell out of my way."

"Is this a bad time?" Ace's voice cuts through the tension of the room.

"Not at all Mr. Harrington," the nurse says to him way too sweetly. "Maybe you can talk some sense into her."

Ace attempts to hide his amusement because he doesn't want to condone my behavior but he knows it won't get him very far.

"Has everything been cleared with Dr. Ember?" He asks.

"Yes, sir. She's all yours," the nurse muses whilst patting him on the shoulder like she feels sorry for him.

In a minute she's going to be sorry she put her fucking hands on my mate. I watch her leave, imagining all the ways I could punish her for touching what's mine. Break all of her fingers one by one, cut them off at the knuckles with wire cutters, dip them in my hellfire and watch the skin melt off her bone...

"Solana,"  Ace purrs, breaking me of my daydreams.

"Alpha,"  I smile back innocently.

"You know she's just trying to do her job, which happens to be making sure you're healthy."

"I didn't realize walking 10 feet to the bathroom is now considered a perilous journey," I argue back. "It's not like anyone has died from going to the bathroom."