Chapter 15

Hunter

Dean isn't with them. We knew it the moment the elevator doors opened.

He hasn't checked in — and even though I know I did everything I was supposed to, followed protocol, it doesn't do anything to abate the feeling that it's my fault.

I don't know what happened. He was right behind me. I thought I saw him flying up with Sol and Tate...I wouldn't have left if I thought he wasn't with them. I feel the need to explain myself to Ace in between breathing in Solana's earthy, vetiver scent.

Don't do that, Hunt. You and I both know you did everything right. Ace assures me through our link.

If Solana wasn't in my arms right now I think I'd crumble from the weight of Ace's aura. His wolf's alpha genes are pressing me to stop obsessing over the details of our departure and to accept his comfort.

He grows progressively more impatient as my obsession spreads from cell to cell like some reason-resistant virus. Luckily he eagerly accepts Solana's affection which is enough to distract him from me.

Eli catches my eye over Ace's shoulder, when should we tell Tate?

It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. Death has no secrets, and, while we all consider him family, Dean is Tate's flesh and blood. I want to be the one to tell Tate. The sooner the better.

I've barely disconnected myself from Solana when Ace's command hits me like a countdown halt. Stay here with her. I think everyone could use a minute, including you.

Powerless to disobey him any further, I fit myself in behind Solana where I can rub her shoulders and her arms and feel her warmth charging me like a battery from the inside out.

But while Ace and I are centered around Solana, Eli evidently decides to take the lead on updating Tate. And judging by the sound of glass shattering violently, I'd wager that Tate is not taking the news too well.

Solana pops her head up like a prairie dog, honing in on the source of the sound. "Tate, you good?" She calls out to him.

Her body noticeably tenses when Tate shadows himself out of view of anyone, like she's recoiling from a slap to the face. She looks between the rest of us, searching our eyes for answers. "What's going on?"

"Dean hasn't checked in. He was last seen by Hunter right behind you and Tate, but he hasn't made any kind of contact. He's missing." Ace says gently.

Sol curses softly under her breath and pushes herself up and out of our embrace. "How many exits are there in here?" She asks Ace with urgency.

"The elevator is the only physical way in or out. I can teleport us in and out if and when needed."

Sol flies across the apartment into the kitchen. She grabs one of the glass containers on the counter and hurls it at the elevator door with impressive speed and precision. It combusts on impact leaving behind a flour dust-cloud in its wake and before it can fully settle on the ground she erects a wall of green flames in front of the elevator door.

What the fuck is she doing? Eli asks Ace and me, intrigued as much as he is horrified. She's trapping Dean out!

No she's not. Ace all but purrs. She's trapping Tate in. Even if he could somehow find a way to avoid making footprints in the flour, his way is blocked by her flames.

"I'm going to give him a minute and then I'll go find him. But before I do that I want details," she walks around the kitchen island, shedding weapons and gear onto the counter.