Chapter 27

Solana

Last time we saw my dads they were nothing but handshakes and backslaps with Ace and the guys. You know, chummy shit. Don't get me wrong, it's beneficial for me for my dads to like the guys. But for as hot as they usually run, they're shooting nothing but ice at the guys as we walk upstairs and into the meeting room.

Their glares and rising heat are the only acknowledgment that they're aware of the shift between me and the guys, what we are to one another now.

Where my fathers not-so-quietly brood in the corner, Rhys decides it's a good time to poke the bear – or, more accurately, the wolves.

He slides up next to Ace with what I'm sure he thinks is a clever grin and leans into his space. "Soo, I'm sorry I just gotta know. Did our dads pay extra for a happy ending or is that something you threw in just for fun?"

That was the right wrong-thing to say. To top it off, he thought he spoke softly enough that no one else would hear him but my dads' Alpha hearing picked it up anyway and now the majority of the men in the room are on fire.

Luckily my family is all used to Rhys' antics so I don't think my dads' ire is directed at him necessarily, at least not entirely. Unfortunately that means those death glares are meant for Death.

Cole holds back a thrashing Hunter, managing to reprimand our brother through his teeth. "Rhys for fuck's sake, can we go one day without you being yourself?"

The rest of my guys all take their cues from Ace, who is now towering over Rhys looking calm and cool on the outside but billowing heat from the inferno within.

"I've refused every dime of your fathers' money because protecting my Queen isn't a job, it's an honor." Ace growls, gaining the attention of everyone in the room. He grabs Rhys by the collar of his shirt, pulling him closer so Ace can speak into his ear. "But 'biting the shit out of her,' as you so eloquently put it, was more than fun."

Ace lets go of Rhys and Cole lets go of Hunter, who immediately clocks Rhys with an iron fist. "Speak about my mate like that again Rhys and I swear to the Gods it'll be the last thing you ever say."

Ace's wolf calls to Hunter's to settle down, pushing his pride and admiration for Hunter's actions through the bond and calling for a ceasefire.

"Got that out of your systems?" My mother says in a tone as soft as thunder. It's a rhetorical question. She gestures to the table for all of us to have a seat. My parents and siblings, my mates, Hunter's parents, and Griffin and his parents are all present and accounted for. Even my uncle Incandis and aunt Kat are here.

"I believe we left off with your theory that Elena is connected to Sol's bounty, so let's pick up where we left off." My mom says.

Ace nods to Tate who already has his laptop and tablet set up on the table. He goes through our findings — the money, the change of hands, the people listed by name. Then he lists off all the circumstantial evidence implicating Elena in this plot — the timing of her being appointed and the bounty being posted, my poisoning, the fact that the facility guards were tipped off that we'd be there.

"We need to hit all three. The facility, Lobo, and the Elders. Rip them out by the root." Tate finishes his presentation.

Moving only her eyes my mom hazards a glance at my fathers, trying to gauge their opinion. "We can start with Lobo and the facility but we don't touch the Elders until I have the chance to explain to my uncle why his fiancé must die an incredibly painful death."

"If you do that then he's going to tip off Elena just like he's done, intentionally or not, every other time." I bark with the bite to match. "We need to get to all three as soon as possible so we don't lose the element of surprise. Otherwise you're jeopardizing hundreds of lives."