Alternative Motives

x Male!Reader

Part 5

So sorry for how long it took me to write this, I hope you enjoy it (or read it at all).

--

Ron is a proud person, but he can admit that he's also a jealous one. Finding out that (Y/N) has been hanging out with a fellow Ravenclaw didn't rub him right, and that feeling only grew after meeting him.

(Y/N) had been meeting up with his fellow Ravenclaw, Joshua Hendley, and at first it was to study. But soon Josh was asking (Y/N) to go to Hogsmeade or sneak out at night from the dorms. Sometimes (Y/N) would reject his invitations and other times he would go with him, and he hadn't really noticed just how upset Josh would get when (Y/N) turned him down.

Not until now.

"I did it! I did it, (Y/N)! I won the game!" Josh had run up to (Y/N), who'd been standing with his sister and friends.

"Good job, Josh! Your team did great, you worked hard for it," (Y/N) congratulated, patting Josh on the back after he was pulled into a hug.

"Who's this?" Ron asked, sizing Josh up. Who was this random classmate that was forcing his boyfriend into a hug? His usual grimace overtook his face as he glared at Josh, and (Y/N) picked up on it.

"This is Joshua Hendley, he's in Ravenclaw with me. We've been hanging out together for the past couple of weeks. He was the friend I mentioned to you." (Y/N) took a step away from Josh after the hug and he didn't seem to like that, his brow creasing at the word 'friend'.

"Right... the one that's been taking you to Hogsmeade?" Ron recalled a conversation they had over dinner the other day.

"Yes. Josh, this is my boyfriend Ron."

Ron nodded stiffly at Josh, but he didn't return the gesture. Instead he scoffed, looking at (Y/N) with an anger that (Y/N) hadn't noticed before.

"Him? Really?" he raised an eyebrow at (Y/N).

Blinking in confusion, (Y/N) linked his hand with Ron's, "What do you mean?"

"Ronald Weasley. You're really going to settle for him?"

"Josh, I don't know what you're talking about-"

"Don't you realize why I've been spending so much time with you?"

(Y/N) took a hesitant step back at the tone in Josh's voice, and Ron immediately stood at attention, ready to do something he'd probably regret.

"It wasn't because I wanted to be your friend, cupcake." The last word was dripping with venom. "I have feelings for you but you're too dense to see it."

"I'm sorry, Josh, but-"

"Yes, yes- you're with this idiot."

Harry glanced away from his best friend to Hermione, but not soon enough to stop her from standing between the three in front of them.

"Say that again," she threatened, pulling her wand from her sleeve. She was closest to Josh, weight in the tips of her toes as she almost fully blocked her brother and his boyfriend from Josh's view.

"Get out of the way, Granger. This isn't your fight."

"The hell it is, that's my little brother you're shouting at. And Ronald Weasley is ten times the man you'll ever be. My brother is lucky to have him, and the same goes for Ron."

Ron seemed taken aback at this, smiling at the back of Hermione's head. (Y/N) rubbed the back of his hand with his thumb, sharing the smile with him.

Josh snorted, rolling his eyes, "Like you can say anything. What do you know about relationships, Granger?"

(Y/N) went to take a step forward, but if Hermione seemed hurt by this she didn't let it show. She raised her wand closer to Josh's face, and her glare became even more intense.

"You will leave my brother and Ron alone. You will not see them or talk to them, am I understood?"

It was now that Josh seemed to realize the severity of his situation, especially when he looked over at Harry who was looking at him with a half-pity, half-anger filled gaze. Putting up his hands in surrender he backed up, glaring at Ron and (Y/N) as he went.

"And keep the Granger's names out of your mouth!" Ron shouted after him, his arm around (Y/N)'s waist.

"Are you lot alright?" Harry asked as they started to walk towards the castle. "I'm sorry I wasn't more help."

"Nonsense, Harry. If you'd tried 'Mione probably would've cursed you," (Y/N) teased, nudging her arm as she tucked her wand away again.

"I didn't know you felt that way about me, Hermione," Ron went further, smirking at her as they climbed the hill, quickly dodging Hermione's punch.

"I never said it," she insisted, sticking her nose up as she went ahead.

"Thank you, Ron," (Y/N) whispered, catching his hand again.

"Anytime, love." He smiled with a wink.

Ta-da!!!

-Author Max <3