Chapter 1: The Thicking

Two weeks had went by since that memorable event. The original plan was never for them to kiss; instead, it involved a face-off to determine who could maintain eye contact longer.

Yet, the lingering words echoed in Aoom's mind, particularly Meena's statement in various interviews: "Aoom likes to kiss me in the dark." While not untrue, it was a bit exaggerated. Yes, there was that one time they shared a brief, darkened kiss, but it was merely a peck.

Aoom, who was currently taking a break in her condo after long weeks of work, couldn't get the image out of her head. She laid on the couch, restless, letting her thoughts run wild, desperate to get to the bottom of the situation.

**Flashback**

Backstage, Meena and Aoom rushed, the air thick with excitement and expectation for the Miss Grand Sports Day 2023 event. Meena couldn't hide her displeasure when they were given the script for their on-stage encounter.

"This script is so bland, Aoom. I mean, where is the fun? "Where is the excitement?" Meena made a remark, her eyes lingering on each sentence, searching for a spark, a glimmer of something that would raise their on-stage connection.

"They want it safe and clean," Aoom answered, her sight avoiding direct contact with Meena's wicked look. Her heart was already racing, her nerves accentuating the distance between the prepared sentences.
As Aoom and Meena took the stage, tremendous cheers echoed across the audience. The script called for them to tease one other while keeping a close yet safe distance as Aoom carefully held Meena's face in her palms. The audience waited for a playful exchange with bated breath.

All the sudden Meena closed the distance, her eyes briefly touched Aoom's lips, a quiet declaration of desire. When their lips finally met, it was a delicious surrender to the unsaid bond that flowed between them. At least how Aoom saw it.

Meena stepped back with a quick, almost instinctive movement, her eyes filled with surprise and awareness. The audience was taken aback and became a mess, but not only them, the other Miss Grand contestants where even more excited.

Aoom was taken aback onstage, her face had turned into a canvas of emotions. A mix of astonishment, curiosity, and perhaps—a hint of delight.

**End of Flashback**

Aoom jumped up from her couch, the unexpected rush making her dizzy. "Damn," she muttered, having neglected the simple duty of caring for herself.

Meena, immersed in her own world, saw Aoom's name light across her screen when the phone rang. She responded with a pleasant "Hey," oblivious to Aoom's spontaneous plans.

"How's it going?" Aoom's voice was warm, and it rang through the phone. "Just catching up on some work," Meena said, always charmed by Aoom's tone. "How are you doing?"

Seizing the opportunity, Aoom said, "Well, I was thinking, how about we ditch the solo meals and grab something together?" It's been a long time since we just hung out not work related.

Meena's face lit up with delight at the prospect of spending quality time with her best friend. "You're right; it's been a while. Where would you like to go?

"How about we keep it low-key?" Aoom said, recognizing the shared familiarity. "Let's get some of our favorite takeout and then we can go to my condo. That way we can relax, catch up, and have some nice meals without making a fuss."

Meena's face brightened at the notion. The idea of a relaxing evening spent in the comfort of their own homes made her happy. "Yeah, that sounds perfect, I'll grab us some food and head to your place. See you in an about an hour".

After the plans were settled, Aoom and Meena continued their talk. As they were ready to hang up, Aoom murmured casually, "See you soon, love you." and hung up.

These 'love yous' were as natural to them as having a meaningful conversation or expressing their support. In Meena and Aoom's friendship understanding one another was as natural as breathing.

Up until today at least.

Aoom and Meena's friendship developed at the pageant, and they were inseparable from then on. Meena had named Aoom the most beautiful of the 77 provinces long before they had even met. Their bond got stronger over time, becoming the lovely friendship they have today.

Meena is more than a friend in Aoom's eyes; she's a shelter, a place where calm and tranquility can be found. Their bond is more than words can express, and the understanding they share is profound.

"I missed you so much," Aoom said one day, recalling their time apart during the international pageant in Vietnam. The only thing that actually made me happy after the competition was seeing you again."

"You're my home away from home, Aoom," Meena grinned as she embraced Aoom.

"If the fans could see you right now, all sentimental and mushy," Aoom teased Meena, "they'd probably be roasting you."

"Well, someone's got to keep the sentimentality in check," Meena responded, seeking to assume a wittier tone. We can't turn into a rom-com, can we?"

"Oh please," Aoom said, unfazed. You're a sweetheart at heart. Even the fans are aware of it. Accept your mushiness!"

Despite her best attempts, Meena couldn't help but laugh. "All right, all right. Allow them to have their fun. But don't expect me to become sentimental anytime soon again."

"Babemeen" whispered Aoom onto the air.

But their friendship wasn't always smooth sailing. Aoom remembers how during a TikTok live makeup sale, she was sitting in the middle between Nini and Meena. On a moment, Nini placed a casual hand across Aoom's back on the chair. Meena caught the gesture and gently nudged Aoom to evaluate her reaction.

Meena saw Aoom's casual reply and at first discounted the exchange. However, her interest was piqued when Nini cupped Aoom's face while applying makeup. The intimacy between them became palpable, and Meena's gaze intensified with a mixture of possessiveness and jealousy.

As Nini released Aoom's face, Meena's gaze, locked directly into Aoom's eyes. Aoom struggled to articulate what she saw in that moment— it was an inferno with an intensity that that ignited every fiber of her being.

On the other hand, Meena was still grappling with the aftermath of that intense exchange, while the live stream carried on. Beyond the surface of their shared moments, there appeared to be a magnetic pull that drew her to Aoom.

For Meena their friendship was all about comfort. It was a place they felt at home, secure enough to be themselves without worry. It felt like a comfortable haven where unspoken emotions might rest amid the chaos of life.

Thought, it wasn't just about the shared moments; it was the uncharted territory where their gazes lingered a little longer, and the unsaid statements resonated louder than the spoken ones.

Yet, within the embrace of comfort, an unremitting craving surfaced—a profound yearning for a connection with a more profound intimacy.