Chapter 10: Fears

"We're losing her," echoed in Aoom's ears, and without thinking twice, she ran out of the room, reaching the fresh air outside the hospital, where she kneeled among some bushes, releasing the torrent of emotions overwhelming her. "No, Meena, not her," Aoom repeated internally as she struggled to regain composure. She needed to be strong, indispensable for Meena.

About twenty minutes later, Char went out in search of Aoom. Without saying a word, she enveloped the older one in a comforting hug, and at that moment, Aoom crumbled once again. "Char, I don't understand anything," Aoom babbled amid sobs. "Just a moment ago, we were joking in the car, and in the blink of an eye, her fever kept rising," Aoom continued, sharing her confusion.

Char pulled away slightly and, looking into her eyes, reassured her, "Now is not the time to be thinking about that, honey. Nothing that happened could have been avoided." With empathy, she added, "The doctors stabilized her again. Although she's still in a very delicate state, she's here with us, and we're going to be here for her." Char wiped away Aoom's tears and pressed their foreheads together, whispering, "Everything is going to be okay; we have to think positively."

"Do you want me to take you for a shower and change of clothes?" Charlotte offered with concern. "Or better yet, how about I bring you some clothes, and you can take a shower here to be more comfortable?" she suggested, stepping back slightly and offering a small smile.

Aoom, still immersed in her emotions, nodded in gratitude to Charlotte to bring her some clothes. Charlotte led Aoom to a quieter area of the hospital, and as they walked, Aoom silently appreciated having someone like Charlotte by her side.

Upon returning, they found Meena's mom fixed on the door, her face showing signs of fatigue and overwhelming thoughts. Aoom approached with solidarity, gently placing a hand on the mother's shoulder, who responded with a hug.

"I'm going to take a quick shower to change this situation," Aoom announced to Meena's mom, pointing at the blood on her shirt and beneath her nails. Meena's mother gave her a small squeeze and nodded, prompting Aoom, lost in her thoughts, to head to the bathroom.

The sound of water running caused a period of calm in the situation, bringing a little peace among the chaos. As the water fell, Aoom let her tears merge with the stream, a quiet release that allowed her to release of part of her weight.

Shortly after, Charlotte returned with a bag containing clean clothes and personal grooming items. She entered the bathroom and from outside said, "Here you go, Aoom. I hope this makes you feel a little better," placing the bag on a small table. Aoom weakly thanked her with the little strength she had left.

After a time that felt both brief and eternal, Aoom emerged from the bathroom with a feeling that didn't sit well in her stomach. She put on the clean clothes Charlotte had brought and looked at herself in the mirror, seeking strength in her own reflection.

Aoom returned to the waiting room and found Charlotte waiting for her with a cup of steaming tea. "Thought you might need this," Charlotte remarked, passing her the cup. Time marched on indifferently, and the waiting room bore witness to the fluctuations of its occupants' emotions. Each stare from Meena's mother showed the sense of dread and optimism that filled the room.

Suddenly, the door opened, and a doctor entered the room. All eyes turned towards him, seeking answers. The doctor, with a serious expression, approached Meena's mother.

"Ma'am, we've conducted several medical tests, and the results are concerning. The analyses suggest the presence of toxins in Meena's system. Her platelet count is elevated, and her blood pressure is notably low," the doctor explained, trying to convey the gravity of the situation.