Chapter 4: The Calm Before the Storm

Aoom and Meena's plane descended slowly, signaling their arrival in Myanmar. Meena was staring out the window, her gaze lost in the flickering lights of the city below them. The mixed excitement and nervousness made her stomach churn as the plane approached its way toward the landing strip. She attempted to be calm, but her thoughts kept wandering to the next 60 hours she had ahead of her.

It was a mere sixty hours, she reassured herself. Resisting Aoom during that time shouldn't pose much of a challenge. After all, he doesn't have any romantic interest in her, right? Yet, amidst her self-assurance, a small spark of anticipation ignited inside her. She wondered what challenges and temptations those sixty hours would hold for them.

When the plane finally touched down, Aoom and Meena got up from their seats, ready to rest for a while. They headed towards the exit of the plane, lost in their own thoughts. Meena adjusted her bag and, with one last look inside the plane, she made a silent promise to keep things under control. Despite the awareness that the tension between her and Aoom could escalate unexpectedly, she was resolute in not succumbing to the dynamics of the situation.

Upon reaching dry land, they proceeded to the location where Nwat awaited to hand over the hotel keys. However, upon arrival, Meena noticed a deviation from their usual arrangement: they were not assigned to share a room this time. A sense of bewilderment washed over her, prompting a questioning glance at Aoom, who responded with a playful smile.

Clearing her throat, Meena turned to Nwat with a determined tone, a mix of confusion and disappointment evident in her demeanor. "Why aren't we sharing a room this time?" she asked, trying to sound casual even though her curiosity was evident.

The man, with his usual unflappable expression, replied, "Aoom mentioned that you two had already talked about it and decided on the arrangement."

Meena's gaze fell directly on Aoom, searching for answers in the older woman's expression. Aoom, however, kept her playful smile, as if she enjoyed the mystery surrounding the situation.

"Shall we talk about this, Aoom?" Meena asked, in a tone somewhere intrigued.

Aoom nodded with an amused expression. "Yes, Meena, we talked about it. I thought we could try something different this time. To add a little color to life."

Meena frowned slightly, trying to understand the logic behind Aoom's decision. "Color? Why change something that has been working well until now?"

Aoom shrugged, maintaining her enigmatic smile. "Sometimes it's fun to challenge yourself, don't you think? Plus, we can enjoy a little more privacy."

Aoom's response only added to Meena's confusion, but before she could delve deeper into her thoughts, Nwat intervened. "Girls, we have a lot ahead of us. The keys to your rooms," he said, diverting attention to the more practical aspect of the situation.

Meena took the key with a mixture of resignation and curiosity. As they walked away from Nwat, her mind continued to spin, trying to understand the motives behind Aoom's decision and the mysterious turn those sixty hours in Myanmar would take.

The girls arrived at the hotel and Meena, upon checking her key, realized that she would be sharing a room with Charlotte. Upon entering, she was greeted by the elegance of the place: mahogany-finished details, a rustic marble floor and a beautiful panoramic view of the city from the window. There was a small desk already cluttered with Charlotte's belongings, two impeccably made beds, and a chair strategically placed to take advantage of the view.

Charlotte, excited, surrounded Meena with an affectionate hug. "Meena! It feels like ages since we last saw each other—well, about four days, but that's an eternity for me," she exclaimed, feigning tears. "Why aren't you sharing a room with Aoom? It's a bit unusual, isn't it?"