Chapter 2: Always in the Dark

Meena walked into Aoom's condo carrying takeout containers and a couple of milk teas. The sweet odor of the food floated through the air, infusing the room with a pleasant aroma.

"You brought the good stuff!" smiled Aoom. I was growing weary of cooking for myself."

"Oh really? Are you getting tired of instant noodles, Chef Aoom?" With a lighthearted eye roll, Aoom said, "Hey, sometimes all you need is a quick fix of noodles." I'm not able to prepare fine dining dinners every day as you do."

Meena chuckled, "Well, you deserve a break from your culinary skills, but if you ever need a break from the instant noodle life, you know where to find me. I'll teach you a thing or two about cooking."

They started eating once Meena opened one of the containers.

As they ate, Meena stated Charlotte, saying, "So, Char's going to crash at my place for a couple of days while they fix up her condo." She's bringing Phalo, and I have no idea how the cats will react."

"Ah, the classic cat dilemma," Aoom leaned back, a thoughtful smile on her face. Introducing new members to the feline realm can be difficult."

"Exactly," Meena said, nodding. I don't want them preparing a huge rebellion against a bunny's incursion."

Aoom's curiosity overcame her as they finished their meal. "Talking of Charlotte, how are everything doing between the two of you? Lately, you have been spending a lot of time together."

Meena grinned, understanding where Aoom was taking this. "Ah, the subtle questioning begins. Aoom, we're just close friends. There's no need to go all detective."

Aoom leaned back, pretending to be innocent. "Me? A detective? I'm just sincerely interested in your life. There will be no detective work here. "How could there possibly be?"

Meena cocked an eyebrow and said, "Oh, I don't know, maybe because you're Charlotte's best friend and you've known her longer than I have?"

"Fair point," chuckled Aoom. But, let's face it, Meena, you've spent a lot of time together recently. I'm just making sure my best friend is having the time of her life. I swear there are no ulterior intentions."

Meena's mind began to wander into a region of self-reflection as Aoom continued to speak. She couldn't ignore the developing sensations she had been feeling, impulses that seemed to be expanding beyond the borders of friendship. When she saw Aoom with someone else, she felt an itch of jealousy that she couldn't explain.

What is causing this reaction in me? Meena thought to herself. Isn't Aoom simply a friend?

She tried to reject the thought, blaming it on the stress of daily life and the complicated dynamics they agreed upon together.

Nonetheless, there was an obvious draw, an unsaid connection that seemed to grow stronger with each shared experience. Meena found herself pondering the possibility that her feelings for Aoom were more than platonic.

That is ludicrous. We're friends, and that's all there is to it, Meena comforted herself. But why do I have this weird flutter in my tummy whenever she's around?

Meena's internal monologue was cut short as Aoom's snapped her fingers in front of her face. "Earth to Meena!" For a brief period, you got caught in thought. "Is everything all right?"

Meena blinked, returning to reality. "I'm sorry about that. For a while, I was lost in my thoughts."

"Deep thoughts or daydreams about a secret admirer?" Aoom asked, smiling.

"Neither" Meena chuckled, "just the usual chaotic mess inside my head."

"Come on, spill the beans," Aoom teased her. I'm capable of keeping a secret. "Do you have an eye on someone?"