Chapter 23: Into the Abyss

In the midst of the tense silence, a sudden, jarring sound shattered the air—a sharp slap echoing through the room as Meen's hand connected with Meena's cheek. The woman recoiled, her hand instinctively rising to touch the stinging mark left behind.

Her eyes widened in disbelief, a mix of shock and indignation flickering in their depths as she stared back at Meen. "Get the fuck out of here, Meena," Meen's voice sliced through the tense atmosphere, each word dripping with venomous contempt.

Without a word, she turned on her heel and marched towards the door, her jaw clenched with determination.As Meena stepped out into the outside, her heart pounding with a mixture of hurt and indignation, she fumbled for her phone, her fingers trembling slightly as she dialed Charlotte's number.

Tears welled up in her eyes, threatening to spill over as she recounted the events that had just transpired. With each ring, her desperation grew, until finally, Charlotte picked up. "Charlotte," Meena's voice cracked with emotion, tears streaming down her cheeks. "I need you to come get me. Please."

There was a moment of silence on the other end of the line, before Charlotte's voice came through, filled with concern and compassion. "Meena, what's wrong? What did that asshole do?"

Meena took a deep, shuddering breath, trying to steady her voice as she spoke. "I... tried to tell him... about everything. But he... he hit me, Charlotte. I can't stay here."

A surge of protectiveness washed over Charlotte as she listened to Meena's words. "I'm on my way, Meena. Just hold tight. I'll be there soon."

As two weeks slipped by, Charlotte remained a constant presence by Meena's side, offering support and comfort in the wake of the traumatic incident. However, despite Charlotte's best efforts, Meena's condition seemed to be going worse. She neglected her basic needs, barely eating, drinking, or leaving the confines of her space.

Charlotte's worry deepened with each passing day, and she knew she had to intervene, for her friend's sake. "Meena," Charlotte said gently one afternoon, "you need to take care of yourself. You can't keep neglecting your health like this."

Meena waved off Charlotte's concern with a weak smile. "I'm fine, Charlotte. I just need some time to process everything."

But Charlotte wasn't convinced. "Meena, this isn't healthy. You can't keep avoiding reality like this. You need to file a report with the police. What happened wasn't your fault."

Meena shook her head, tears welling up in her eyes. "I know, Charlotte. But I just can't face it right now." Charlotte wrapped her arms around Meena, holding her close as she cried. "It's okay, Meena. I'm here for you."

One evening, Charlotte's worry reached a breaking point. She knew she had to do something, anything, so she dialed Aoom's number, her heart pounding with anxiety. "Aoom," Charlotte said urgently when Aoom picked up, "I need your help. I can't tell you everything, but Meena... she's not doing well. She won't listen to me, and I'm scared for her."

Aoom's voice was laced with concern. "Charlotte, what's going on? What happened to Meena?"

Charlotte hesitated, torn between loyalty to her friend and the urgency of the situation. "I can't tell you, Aoom. But please, you have to talk to her. She needs someone to knock some sense into her."

Aoom's concern only deepened at Charlotte's words. "Charlotte, I need to know what happened. I can't help Meena if I don't know what's going on."

Charlotte sighed, her heart heavy. "Talk to Meena, Aoom. Leave the pride aside, for both of your sakes." Charlotte ended the call, praying that Aoom would be able to reach Meena where she couldn't.