Chapter 11: Dare

A full week had passed since Meena's health scare, confining her within the sterile hospital walls. Today signaled a crucial turning point—the day the doctors planned to awaken her from the induced slumber that had held her in suspense. Aoom, Char, and Meena's mother had taken shifts, ensuring she was never left alone in her silent battle.

In a room fraught with anticipation, the trio listened as the doctor, a beacon of reassurance, explained the intricacies of the awakening procedure. The process, he clarified, would unfold gradually, employing medication through the IV to gently coax Meena back to consciousness and avoid any abrupt shocks.

The doctor admitted that time was tricky here. They couldn't say exactly when Meena would wake up—it wasn't about minutes but about watching for her slow and careful response. The doctor said only one person should be there when Meena woke up, and everyone agreed it should be her mom.

Back in Meena's room, everything felt like a touching scene from a movie—soft lights making a warm glow, the steady beep of machines making a quiet soundtrack. Meena, lying there, seemed like she was halfway between dreams and waking up.

Meena's eyelids fluttered as she slowly began to wake. The soft sounds of medical equipment and hushed whispers surrounded her, and her eyes adjusted to the gentle lighting in the room. Meena's mother, holding her daughter's hand, felt the squeeze as Meena's fingers responded. A tender smile formed on Meena's lips as she opened her eyes, finding comfort in the familiar presence of her mom.

"Hi, sweetie," her mother whispered, relief evident in her voice.

"Hi," Meena replied, her voice a soft murmur. Confusion lingered in her eyes as she took in her surroundings.

With a gentle touch, her mother brushed a strand of hair from Meena's face. "You've been asleep for a little over a week, dear."

Meena's brows furrowed in disbelief. "A week? What happened?"

Her mother, maintaining a reassuring demeanor, explained the events that led to her hospitalization. Meena listened, absorbing the details while still trying to make sense of the time that slipped away.

"What about everyone else?" Meena asked, her gaze searching the room.

Her mother smiled, "Just me for now, sweetie. We wanted you to wake up at your own pace."

Meena, still groggy but determined, looked around the room. "Where's Aoom? I want to see her."

Understanding Meena's desire to have her friends close, her mother nodded. "I'll go find her for you, dear. Just a moment."

With a reassuring squeeze of Meena's hand, her mother left the room in search of Aoom. Meena lay there, her mind navigating the hazy space between dreams and reality. Aoom entered the room with a soft smile, her eyes reflecting relief and affection. "Hey, baby," she greeted Meena, a term of endearment that carried a sense of comfort and closeness, "How are you feeling?"

Meena managed to give a weak smile and whispered, "My throat hurts a little, and I feel tired."

Aoom nodded and said, "It's normal to feel that way. You've been through a lot, but you're a fighter, and I know you'll get through this."

Before Meena could respond, the doctor entered the room and began to examine her. Aoom watched anxiously as the doctor checked Meena's vitals and asked her some questions. After a few minutes, the doctor declared that Meena was out of danger and could go home soon.

As Aoom and Meena engaged in their small, comforting conversation, the door gently opened once more, revealing Charlotte with a bright and relieved smile. "Looks like I'm not the only one awake now!"