Chapter 6: The Old Ways

"Ehhh guys, what are you doing?" Charlotte questioned as she observed Aoom stepping away from Meena's lap, adjusting one of the straps on her shirt. Aoom tried to explain the situation, but she seemed as perplexed as Charlotte. "We-" Aoom hesitated, struggling to find the right words.

"She was helping me remove an eyelash that got in my eye," Meena instinctively responded.

"Sure... I'll pretend I believe you, and then you spill the real story, okay?" Charlotte replied with a knowing smile. Meena silently thanked her with a look, while Aoom stood up and said goodbye, using the excuse of needing rest for their upcoming flight in a couple of hours.

After Aoom left, Charlotte and Meena found themselves alone. Opting for Charlotte's bed and with cups of hot tea in hand, their conversation flowed. Breaking the silence, Charlotte commented, "So, an eyelash? That's the story you're going with?" The two friends shared a light laugh, acknowledging the simplicity of the improvised explanation. However, Charlotte's discerning gaze suggested she was open to whatever revelation they wished to share.

Feeling more comfortable, Meena decided to elaborate. "Initially, the plan was to keep it casual, win each other, and act like nothing happened when we returned to Thailand. Somehow, we almost ended up kissing, Char. I don't want to jeopardize our friendship, you understand what I'm trying to say? Having Aoom in my life is one of the most beautiful things that has ever happened to me, and now I feel like my head is getting confused," Meena confessed to her best friend.

"Firstly, I've never had a particular interest in women. Sure, I've found some attractive, but I think that's pretty normal. Yet with Aoom, I can't quite figure out what's happening to me. I find myself wanting to be around her all the time, missing her presence, her scent, the warmth of her skin. It's like I'm developing a sort of inexplicable attachment, a form of addiction, if you will. Yet, at the same time, I don't see her as anything more than a friend. Maybe it's just my curiosity playing tricks on me, but the confusion is real," Meena confessed, cradling her tea cup with both hands as she looked at Charlotte, who responded with a sympathetic smile.

Charlotte nodded, creating a supportive space for Meena to express her thoughts. "Meena, emotions can be intricate and weird, but it's entirely okay to feel that way. Exploring new dimensions of our emotions and connections with others is a normal part of life. Have you considered having a conversation with Aoom about what you're going through?" Charlotte suggested, exuding understanding and encouragement.

Meena reacted with a light laugh, infusing a little humor into the situation. "Isn't it ironic that YOU are giving me communication advice?" "But anyways, that's not our primary concern right now," she said, laughing with her friend.

However, Meena couldn't suppress her reservations about the idea of discussing her feelings with Aoom at this moment. "I don't think talking is the best option now, especially when I'm not even sure what I want to say. I'll stick to the plan. Once we touch down in Thailand, it'll be as if nothing happened. We'll likely be spending a lot of time together, engaging in conversations and such... but as soon as our schedules get hectic again, all of this will likely fade away," Meena confessed, her voice carrying a blend of resignation and yearning.

Charlotte, with her compassionate gaze, offered sage advice intertwined with personal reflections. "If it makes you feel better, go for it. Trust your instincts. But let me share something with you: sometimes, the connections we have with people aren't entirely within our control. Our paths are already carved out, and each person we encounter serves a purpose. There are moments when, no matter how hard we try to force things, they simply won't unfold, be it a friendship or something more. I speak from experience, having let go of everything out of fear and uncertainty, and nothing was everthe same. So, if you recognize that it's nothing beyond friendship, cherish that beautiful connection," Charlotte advised, imparting a snippet of her life that Meena was already familiar with.