Chapter 9: Red

Inside the elevator, the confined space seemed to magnify the emotional atmosphere. "We need to calm down, Meena. We can't let this overwhelm us," Aoom repeated; her words contained a mix of concern and determination. In the midst of this tension, Meena suddenly exclaimed, "Aoom, I'm very hot."

Aoom looked at her, initially thinking it was a joke. However, the seriousness in Meena's eyes made her reconsider. "Seriously, Meena? Now?" Aoom asked, bewildered by the unexpected statement. The elevator doors closed, and Meena's sensation of heat intensified, turning the confined space into an unexpected furnace.

Meena, visibly uncomfortable, insisted, "No, Aoom, I'm serious. I feel like my skin is burning." Upon hearing these words, an immediate concern gripped Aoom. Without hesitation, she placed the back of her hand on Meena's forehead, and her eyes widened as she realized that Meena was indeed burning up; she seemed to have developed a fever.

A knot formed in Aoom's stomach, but she decided not to share the severity of the situation with Meena at that moment. She tried to reassure her, saying, "Calm down, Meena. You're a bit warm, but don't worry. You just need to take your medication and rest." Internally, Aoom hoped that the fever was just a temporary symptom that the medication would resolve.

Assuming the fever wouldn't be anything serious, Aoom guided Meena to her room. With an arm under Meena's shoulders, she led her to bed carefully. As they moved, Meena began to notice that each step became more difficult, her balance compromised by the weakening effect of the fever.

Upon entering the room, Aoom kindly instructed, "Lie down for a bit, Meena. I'll prepare some soup and bring you the medications. I'm sure you'll feel better after resting a bit." Aoom tried to calm herself in a composed tone, wanting to convey to Meena that everything would be fine with a little rest and medication.

Carrying a steaming cup of chicken soup and a tray with medications, Aoom entered the room. Meena, with a faint smile, settled into the bed. Aoom handed her the tray carefully, ensuring she was comfortable.

"I hope this makes you feel better," Aoom said kindly as Meena took the cup. "I'm going to take a quick shower while you eat. Will you be okay alone for a moment?" Aoom asked, showing evident concern in her eyes.

Gratefully nodding, Meena replied, "Yes, Aoom, I'll be fine. Don't worry so much. Maybe this fever is just a side effect of the anesthesia." She tried to downplay the situation to reassure Aoom, although deep down, she also wanted to convince herself that it wasn't anything serious.

Aoom smiled appreciatively but still with a hint of unease. "Alright, but if you need anything, don't hesitate to call me. I'll be quick." With those words, Aoom left the room, leaving Meena with the tray of food and medications.

The older one hurried to take a shower, but her mind was divided between caring for Meena and the concerns that the fever had stirred. She wondered if they should call the doctor or if everything would be fine with the medication. Deciding to stay positive, she chose to trust that Meena would recover soon.

Exiting the shower, Aoom returned to the room. Meena had already finished the soup and was resting. Aoom approached with a mix of relief and concern on her face. "How do you feel now, Meena?" she asked gently.

Meena, still weak but with a smile, replied, "I feel better, but I'm a little chilly." She looked at Aoom with tired yet grateful eyes. "Do you think you could stay with me for a while?"

Aoom, despite their earlier conversation, couldn't resist her best friend's request. "Of course I can," she responded with a smile. She couldn't say no, especially when she knew they would be separated for so long.

Settling on the bed, Meena shifted to make room for Aoom. Aoom lay down, covering herself with a blanket, while she surrounded Meena with her arm. Meena, in a softer tone, said, "Aoom, would you mind staying a bit closer?"