Chapter 5: Category 5

The women entered the event's packed backstage area and were immediately surrounded by bright lights, lively music, and the incessant chatter of hurried conversations. As the girls got ready for their last fittings before the runway, the air became heavy with anticipation and excitement.

Wearing chic sunglasses, Aoom carefully adjusted her outfit, and Meena rehearsed in her head the three looks, three walks, and nine camera angles that each girl had to accomplish for the show. The commotion of stylists and designers making last-minute adjustments could be heard over the chaos as they hurried from one location to another.

The whole backstage area was filled with the fast pace of the music, which set the event's mood and created an exuberant atmosphere of eagerness. Spotlights flickered back and forth, illuminating sections of the room with waves of light as the girls moved smoothly backstage, practicing each move and stance in their minds. The air was charged with the lively bustle, a mixture of animated voices, nervous giggles, and an ongoing buzz of engagement. Aoom and Meena looked at each other thoughtfully, both knowing how difficult the catwalk would be for them.

Despite their usual habit of texting each other "goodnight," they decided to skip it last night. So, when they ran into each other the next day, it created a bit of an awkward moment not having that usual greeting. Luckily, they had to jump straight into work as soon as they saw each other, which kind of saved the awkwardness.

While they were in the middle of the chaos, Meena had a problem trying on one of the outfits, which tore a little while trying to take it off, getting stuck in the process. This mishap led to Meena tripping and sustaining an open wound just above her knee. Amidst the chaotic atmosphere, Aoom, who was her makeup done, recognized Meena's distressing scream. In concern, she began scanning the area, searching for Meena amid the crowd.

Upon spotting Meena, Aoom nearly toppled from her chair as she hastily stood up to ensure her well-being. Though the makeup artist was addressing her, she remained oblivious to his words. Her entire focus was on Meena, who stood, endeavoring to withhold tears while applying pressure to her wound to stem the bleeding. Health personnel had swiftly arrived to administer first aid, and Aoom could discern the evident pain Meena was experiencing as she tried to respond to the nurses inquiries.

Approaching the scene, Aoom established eye contact with Meena to confirm her comfort with her presence before turning her attention to the healthcare professionals. "Is it a severe injury? Will stitches be necessary?" Aoom couldn't bear witnessing Meena on the verge of tears and simply wanted to offer her comfort. "No, we just need to clean the wound for disinfection and apply pressure for a few hours before the event officialy starts. The appearance is actually more alarming than the actual severity," reassured one of the nurses, extending a warm smile to both young women.

Meena, can you come with us to the booth to start cleaning the wound?" the nurse asked, seeking to address the situation with professionalism but also with empathy for Meena's obvious discomfort. Meena, with a distant expression and seeming somewhat detached from her surroundings, asked for a repetition of the request. Aoom, attuned to Meena's emotional state, promptly sensed the anxiety and discomfort enveloping her. And it was no wonder since it was one of the most important nights of their lives and things were getting complicated.

Upon the nurse restating the question, Meena directed a query to the healthcare staff, reflecting her wish to take charge of the situation: "Is it possible for me to handle this on my own?" She cleared her throat, endeavoring to maintain composure and resist succumbing to the frustration that, beyond physical discomfort, threatened to manifest in tears. The nurse, with a blend of sincerity and compassion, replied, "We can provide you with the necessary tools, but precision is crucial. Considering the painful condition you're in, there's a concern about ensuring proper disinfection.