Chapter Thirteen: Winston

She was numb

She was numb. It's as plain and simple as that. Her worse nightmare had come true.

Baylee had triggered her werewolf curse.

It was an accident. She was out with Valentina when they saw a man forcefully dragging a girl away and the two of them ran after him. They started to beat him and Baylee had dealt the fatal blow. Baylee had fallen to the ground and Valentina was looking at her concerned until the brunette's head snapped up and her iris were gold.

Ever since that night, she had been terrified of her first full moon. As a crescent wolf, she would have to control over her transformation, except for her first one. She honestly thought that she would never trigger her curse, but she triggered it by trying to save someone's life.

Today was the dreaded day. Everyone was walking on eggshells around the girl not wanting to make her any more upset than she was, both Valentina and Brian had offered to be there with her but she turned them down. She felt that it was her cross to bear alone. It was her punishment.

She was out deep in the woods of Charlotte where no one would go. She had on elastic short and a sports bra, her crescent birthmark on display on the back of her shoulder. She heard rustling and immediately turned around, seeing Winston standing there with a bag.

"Did you really think I was going to let you go through this alone?" Win questioned the blonde he had grown to love as a daughter.

"Honestly? Yes. Because all my life I never put first. I lived forever in the shadow of my sister, and it hurt. I honestly thought no one would ever be here to help me through my first transformation. I didn't want to get Christopher, Rowan, and Harper involved because I already screwed up their lives enough." The brunette admitted.

"Hey, you're family now Baylee. You don't have to be a Mikaelson anymore. Be a Shepherd. And we'll always put you first." Max reasoned and watched as the moon started to show.

"I don't want to be a burden, Samuel, Simon, and I don't want to be burden you and everyone else." The girl cried, her eyes starting to turn yellow.

"You aren't a burden Baylee. None of you are. We love having you around. You three and Fun complete this family." The hybrid told her.

Baylee cried as his ankle broke. She could feel all of his bones mangling into odd positions. She was now on the ground screaming in pain. Win was right there coaching her through it.

"You're halfway there. Let it consume you, think about nothing but running free." Win told her.

"Dad, it hurts so bad! Dad, make it stop!" She cried as his teeth sharpened into their wolf-like fangs.

"You're almost there princess, the pain will stop soon." He reassured as tears came to eyes when she called him dad.

With a final scream and then a feral growl Baylee had turned into a black wolf. He looked at Winston who gave him a smile.

"You did it, kiddo." He whispered and watched as she backed up and began to run free in her wolf form.

He followed behind her and watched how she looked around at everything. Seeing everything with your wolf eyes, and senses was an amazing experience.

After about four hours in her wolf form, Baylee began to shift back. Winston placed a blanket over her and waited for him to finish shifting back.

"That was so surreal. You were right. It felt so freeing to be in my wolf form." Baylee said as she regained full awareness.

Winston chuckled and handed her some sweatpants and a t-shirt so she could put some clothes on and turned around.

After a few minutes he saw the brunette walk up to him and smiled.

"Thank you for helping me with this. I know I said this earlier but I wanted to tell you that I see you as a dad. I never really had a dad before. I mean I had my Uncle Elijah and Marcel but they're my uncle and brother..." Baylee rambled before being cut off by Win chuckling.

"It's fine, you don't need to explain yourself. I see you as a daughter and I see the twins as my sons. I meant it when I said you were a part of this family. You don't have to be a Mikaelson anymore. You can be a Shepherd. I know Charles sees you and the doofuses as his own too." Winston told him.

Baylee didn't hesitate for a single moment to hug him. He hugged her back just as tight.

"Thanks, Dad."

"It's no problem at all princess."