Chapter Nine

When I opened my eyes again, nothing had changed. I'd been hoping that this was nothing but a horrible dream. And yet, Eddie was still in that bed, hooked up to so many machines.

My heart broke every time I looked at him.

Shannon was still there. I wasn't sure how much time had passed.

I could hear her talking in the hallway. After a moment, she came into the room. She was in different clothing, and her hair was pulled up. Her eyes were red and puffy.

"Helen says that you can stay with her and Christopher."

Shaking my head, I grasped Eddie's hand, needing to feel him.

"Evan," she sighed. She crossed the room, placing a hand on my shoulder. "You need rest. Being here all the time isn't good for you."

"I'm not leaving."

Shannon sighed again, running a hand through her hair. "You haven't left in four days. You haven't eaten... Please. Eddie wouldn't want this. He would want you to take care of yourself."

A sob escaped my throat. "I can't leave. What if something happens? I can't lose him, Shannon."

My fingers tightened around his, and I never wanted to let go. I couldn't let go. I so desperately wished that it was me in the hospital bed instead of him. I wished desperately that the accident hadn't happened.

You should have stayed.

"I know." Tears were beginning to slip down her cheeks. "I know you can't. But, you need to get some fresh air. Sleep in a real bed."

It felt like a betrayal to even consider not being here, even if it was only for a few hours. But, she was right. If mine and Eddie's positions were reversed, I knew that he would want me to take care of myself. How could I be here for him if I couldn't take care of myself?

My own tears began to fall, and lifting his hand to my lips, I kissed it. It was a long, lingering kiss.

"You better come back to me," I whispered. "I love you more than anything."

With one last look at him, I turned and followed Shannon out.

*

Helen was more than accommodating. The guest room of her house was made up, and food was ready by the time that Shannon dropped me off.

I didn't really eat, just picked at the food. I knew that it must be delicious, but I couldn't taste it. Christopher ate across from me, but he wouldn't look at me. I didn't blame him. I couldn't look at him and not see Eddie.

After a few hours of sleep, I was back at the hospital. Christopher and Helen came with me. It was heartbreaking to see the look on both of their faces as they looked at Eddie. Helen looked like she would fall apart completely. Like her whole world was ending. Christopher had a blank look on his face, but I could see the devastation behind the emotionless expression.

Without thinking, I placed a hand on his narrow shoulder. Surprising us both, he turned into me, burying his face into my chest. A sob wracked his body, and he grasped me tightly. I held him as he cried. Held him and didn't know what to say.

I felt so useless. I helped people every day, and here and now, there was nothing to say. Nothing I could do.

What good was anything if I couldn't help the person I loved most in the world?

Chris pulled away from me, wiping at his nose.

"He'll be be okay," I whispered.

"You don't know that."