Chapter Fourteen

Hen came for support, and gave me a huge hug when we entered the building. 

"It's been too long!" she gushed. 

"I missed you, too." I told her, kissing the top of her head. 

I could feel the anxiety rolling off Eddie beside me, and after she released me, I turned back to him, took his face between my hands and kissed him softly and tenderly, letting my lips linger on his. 

He breathed a shuddering sigh, his breath warm against my lips. 

"I'll be here," I told him. "No matter what happens, I'm here. We'll get through this." 

Eddie nodded, and we sat. We were in a city building. He had an appointment for one-fifteen, which was in ten minutes. He was bouncing his leg beside me, and I placed a hand on his knee. I'd never seen him so anxious. 

I knew that if he lost this, that he would never recover. He'd worked hard for his position, and it had been ripped away from him because of me. I tried not to blame myself, but it was hard. 

But I also knew that this wasn't about me. It was about Eddie and the future of his career. 

And though it had been months since the accident -- though he had followed every rule and had healed quickly -- I could see that his injuries were still bothering him. How had I not noticed that as much as I should have? 

He was massaging his leg where the break had been.

When Eddie was called, I squeezed his hand for reassurance and then he followed a secretary into a meeting room. 

My heart felt suddenly heavy. 

"He'll be okay," Hen told me. "Marchand is a dick... I don't think there's any universe where the board will side with him." 

I nodded, but my heart was in my throat. 

She took my hand, squeezing it. "It's good to see you, Buck. He's been different with you in his life again." 

"Oh?" 

She nodded. "Happier. Not that he wasn't before. But... the last few years haven't been easy for him." 

"He divorced Shannon." 

She nodded again. "They gave their relationship one last shot after you left. To try and keep their family together for Christopher. There was no love behind that decision." 

"As selfish as it sounds, I'm glad it didn't work. But, I know that they love each other. She told me once that that while she would always love him, they were better as co-parents rather than a couple." 

"I feel like everything happens for a reason," He mused. "I feel like you two had to grow up a little before it would work out." 

The back of my neck felt hot. But, she was right. 

"It's always been him." 

"Then I'm glad you're back." 

I wrapped an arm around her shoulder, hugging her. 

"How's life in your world?" 

Hen shrugged. "Karen and I are thinking of adopting. And Denny is about to start his second year of middle school." 

"Wow, how time flies." Her expression is somber. "What's wrong?" I asked. 

"We've been trying to adopt for a few years... but no luck." 

"You two are great parents." I reminded her. "Any kid would be lucky to have you and Karen as moms." 

Hen took off her glasses and wiped at her eyes. "It's just been so hard."