171

Hermione and Harry rushed down the hall until they came near the entrance of the Great Hall where they found a crowd of students standing around as they watched the onlookers seemed shocked and frightened. Professor Trelawney was standing in the middle of the entrance hall with her wand in one hand and an empty sherry bottle in the other. She appeared like she had finally lost whatever little bit of her sanity she had left. She paced around two large trunks laying behind her; one of which appeared like it had been carelessly tossed from the top of the stairs. 

"No! NO! This cannot be happening... it cannot... I refused to accept it!" Trelawney screamed at the top of her lungs which was broken up by the heavy sob caught in her throat. 

"You didn't realize this was coming?" a voice spoke. Hermione turned to see Umbridge standing in front of Profess Trelawney, sounding amused, "incapable though you are of predicting even tomorrow's weather, you must surely have realized that your pitiful performance during my inspections, and lack of any improvement, would make it inevitable you would be sacked?" 

"You can't do this! I've been here sixteen years teaching and living here! Hogwarts is my home!" Trelawney wept controllably as she clung her hand against her chest. 

"It was your home." Umbridge told her, "Until an hour ago, when the Minister of Magic countersigned the order for your dismissal. Now kindly remove yourself for this hall. You are embarrassing us." 

Trelawney didn't leave, merely collapsed against her suitcase; her hand clinging to the side as tears were flooding down her face. Hermione watched as McGonagall broke through the crowd and hurried towards Trelawney. She pulled her back to her feet and gently cradle her against her side, lightly hushing her before pulling a handkerchief from her robes and handed it to Trelawney. 

"There, there, Sybill... calm down... blow your nose on this. It's not as bad as you think, now... you are not going to have to leave Hogwarts..." McGonagall whispered to her while she lightly patted her head calmly. 

"Oh really, Professor McGonagall?" Umbridge said while taking a step towards the two of them, "And your authority for that statement is...?" 

"That would be mine." 

Hermione turned her face to see Dumbledore walking towards them; "Professor McGonagall, might I ask you to escort Sybill back upstairs." 

"Of course, come on Sybill," McGonagall said just as Sprout came rushing over and aid McGonagall with her. Once they were gone, Umbridge turned to face Dumbledore; a glare beaming from her eyes. 

"Dumbledore, exactly what will you do when I appoint a new Divination teacher who needs her lodgings?" Umbridge asked, "And might I assume that you would do the same with Hagrid?"

Hermione gasped, horrified at the thought of Hagrid now not going to teach Care of Magical Creatures.  

"Oh, that won't be a problem." Dumbledore claimed, "You see, I have already found us a new Divination and Care of Magical Creatures teachers and they will not have any problem with that." 

Umbridge's eyes widened. 

"What? You've found? Might I remind you, that under the Educational Decree---" Umbridge started ranting when Dumbledore cut her off. 

"--The Ministry has the right to apoint a suitable candidate if and only if the headmaster is unable to find one," Dumbledore said, "And I am happy to say that on this occasion I have succeeded. May I introduce you?" 

Hermione heard the sound of hooves first before she could see walking up towards Dumbledore was a centaur and... Delores Bickerman. 

"This is Firenze and Delores Bickerman." Dumbledore said to a shocked Umbridge, "I think you'll find them suitable."