11

Hermione followed with the other students and proceeded through the Great Hall where she saw four long tables with students in different uniforms at each table. They hurried down the row towards the front where an old beat up hat sat on top of a stool. McGonagall walked up near the hat where she had a long roll of parchment. 

"When I call your name, You will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted," She explained, "Abbott, Hannah!" 

A girl walked up as she sat on top of stool before McGonagall set it down on her head. A moment's pause... 

"Hufflepuff!" The hat shouted. 

The table on the right cheered and clapped as Hannah went to sit down at the Hufflepuff table. Soon McGonagall proceeded to call out people's names. There were a couple more Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw,  two Gryffindor and a Slytherin. 

"Granger, Hermione!" McGonagall soon called out. Hermione froze a bit before forcing herself up to the stool. She sat down before McGonagall sat on her head. Hermione felt the hat shuffling on top of her head. 

"Hmm..." the hat mumbled, "Difficult. Very difficult. Plenty of courage runs through your very veins that Gryffindor would desire in his pupils but you also have a brilliance that Ravenclaw prides itself with. And you have talent, oh yes... and a thirst to prove yourself! But where to put you?" 

Hermione shivered, wondering what the Hat was finding difficult. 

"Maybe, Slytherin? Oh yes! You could be great there, you know, it's all here... in your head, and Slytherin will help you on the way to greatness, no doubt about that like most of your ancestors." The hat claimed, "But then there are the other half of your family line who found greatness in Ravenclaw and proved their greatness through knowledge and made their mark on the ages!" 

Hermione sat there wide eyed. She knew maybe a few of her family had been magical, but the way the hat was saying it, it made it seem like her entire family was a bunch of wizards and witches. 

"But I think... it better be Gryffindor!" The hat shouted out. Everyone began to cheer them on as McGonagall taken the hat. Hermione hurried off the stool and headed over to where Gryffindor was. As she sat down, she watched as the sorting continued onward. She watched till finally the last person was summoned and left to their table. Soon everyone was enjoying a marvelous feast. Hermione began talking to Percy until suddenly Harry interrupted them. 

"Say Percy, who's that teacher talking to Professor Quirrell?" he asked. 

"Professor Snape. He teaches Potions, but he doesn't want to. Everyone knows he's after Quirrell's job. Knows an awful lot about the Dark Arts, Snape." Percy explained to him. Hermione was finishing dessert when Professor Dumbledore got to his feet. 

"Just a few words now that we are all fed and watered. I have a start of term noticed to give you. First years should note that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to all pupils. And a few of our older students would do well to remember that as well." Dumbledore paused glancing over to where the twins sat, "I have also been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you all that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors. 

"Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of the term. Anyone interested in playing for their House teams should contact Madam Hooch. Finally, I must tell you that this year, the Third-Floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a very painful death." Dumbledore claimed to them, "And now, bedtime. Off you trot!" 

All of the Gryffindor first years followed Percy through the castle and up the marble staircases. As they were walking through, they say a bundle of walking sticks was floating in midair ahead of them. Percy step forward when they started throwing themselves at him. 

"Peeves!" Percy growled, "A poltergeist! Peeves! Show yourself!" 

 A loud annoying laugh answered. 

"Do you want me to go to the Bloody Baron?" 

There was soon a pop and a little man with wicked dark eyes and a wide mouth appeared, floating cross-legged in the air, clutching the walking sticks. 

"Ooooooh!" he said with an evil cackle, "Ickle Firsties! What fun!" 

He soon swooped at them, causing everyone to duck. Percy went ordering for Peeves to knock it off. Hermione found herself unable to take it anymore. 

"ENOUGH! Stop this foolishness at once!" Hermione ordered. Peeves suddenly froze in midair like someone had sent a stunning spell at him. Peeves made a gargling noise as his body was floating around in the air. Everyone looked at Hermione as if she had did a trick that they hadn't noticed. Percy laughed. 

"I wish you've been here before. Peeves never listened to anyone before. Except for the Bloody Baron." Percy cheered before motioning for everyone to follow him. Hermione stood as she watched everyone walk pass her with a look of fright. She pushed back some of her hair behind her ear before heading behind the last person, wondering herself what did she do?