Chapter Eight Princess Daenys Targaryen

Viserys was in relatively good spirits, but his decline had not stopped in the past decade, only slowed; the infection that was eating away at his hand continued to spread, and after losing several fingers he had now had his left arm amputated up to the elbow. "Well you did command her to come, despite having nothing else to do." Daenys told Alicent not caring if they were to discuss anymore, Alicent gave her a disapproving look but remained silent, thankfully Viserys was busy with the baby in his arms. Then Alicent asked what they intended to name the baby, but just as Rhaenyra was about to say something, Laenor interjected ahead of her that he would be named "Joffery." Daenys rolled her eyes as she knew that the baby was named after Laenor's lost lover Joffery Lonmouth who had been killed at their wedding. Thankfully Viserys insisted that he had Laenor's nose, resulting in awkward glances between the rest, Daenys looked down at her sisters and said that Rhaenyra must rest, so all three sisters hugged their father goodbye while leaving Laenor to hold the baby. On the other side of the room, Alicent leaned over to Joffery and saw his trace of dark brown hair and softly said to Laenor, "Do keep trying; soon or late, you may get one who looks like you."

Together the four of them headed back to Rhaenyra's private chambers, and she expressed her annoyance that he named the baby without consulting her, he said that they are both his parents and he should have some say in their family, to which the tired Rhaenyra reminded him that only one of them were bleeding. This caused Laenor to look back down the corridor to Alicent's chambers and realized that Rhaenyra had been leaving a trail of blood all along the floor from the childbirth she finished a matter of minutes ago. In their private chambers, the four adults were greeted by Prince Jacaerys Velaryon, Prince Lucerys Velaryon, Prince Baelon Velaryon, Princess Alyssa Velaryon, Prince Jaehaerys Velaryon and Princess Alysanne Velaryon. With each child calling out to their parents, along with Ser Harwin Strong, the Commander of the City Watch, none of Rhaenyra's three sons had traditional Valyrian silver hair: all of them had dark hair and light skin and looked nothing like Laenor. They did however bear a strong resemblance to Ser Harwin, who held a deep affection for the three boys, the children revealed that they had already picked out a dragon egg to put in Joffery's cradle, to help him bond with it, and Harwin ostensibly came to the guard the egg as they transported it from the Dragonpit. Laenor then insisted that their mother must rest, and sent the two boys to continue their training at the Dragonpit.

"Mother! Did you see me out there?" Daenys turned to look around and raised her eyebrows to look down at Alyssa who raced over to her mother's side, "Where all of you practicing your fighting again?" Daenys smiled knowing full well that her children were so much like her and their father when they were younger, "Petyr, promised to give us one lesson each week, but we just couldn't wait to learn more." Nevertheless Daenys smiled down at her children and gently patted Alyssa's shoulder length silver hair, "Aunt Rhaenyra is the baby alright?" Daenys watched as Alyssa rushed to Rhaenyra' side and looked up at the baby in Harwin's arms. "He's quite alright. Would you like to hold him?" Daenys watched as Valaena was about to open her mouth to decline, but Alyssa turned to looked at her with hopeful eyes and Valaena gave in and nodded for her to gently carry her cousin. "Please be gentle with him, Alyssa." Valaena gently told her. Laenor smiled down at the children and told Rhaenyra he would be back with something warm for her to drink, Daenys smiled as she had seen him grown to be quite a responsible and loving man despite some circumstances. "We'll leave you to rest, Rhaenyra. Once again, congratulations." Daenys smiled when she learned down to kissed her forehead.

"Let's go, my loves." Alyssa carefully handed Joffery back to Rhaenyra before she kissed her cheek and joined her mother and aunt and grabbed hold of her mother's hand, they held hands for a few seconds as they walked down the halls until she broke free from her grip and ran over to the edge to see someone fighting. "Mother, look!" Daenys smiled and looked at the other children, with a nod the children smiled at their mother and returned to the Dragonpit, Daenys walked up to Alyssa's side and saw Ser Criston and Harwin training the boys, Alyssa's cousins. Valaena kept her eyes on her nephew's, looking at the back of their hair, seeing the young boys trying to fight back against the older ones, Alyssa stared in awe at the boys continuing to fight, wanting to join as well but making it impossible. Daenys kept a frown on her face and a distasteful look when she saw Alicent's two boys, Aegon and Aemond, the very boys that Valaena herself had raised, Aegon since he was three and Aemond since he was a babe and thus Alicent's children saw Valaena as their mother. Aegon had noticed them both looking from the top stairs and winked at them, thankfully Alyssa didn't notice but Daenys did and placed a hand on Alyssa's shoulder. "Why can't I train with them, auntie?" "Because you're a woman, Alyssa." Daenys spoke still looking down at the boys below, Alyssa hummed lowly and rested her head on top of her hands. "Aegon promised he would teach me." Daenys looked down at her niece and gave her a warning look to stay away from Aegon, as Daenys simply didn't like the looks Aegon gave every girl or woman he said, already lusting over them and she didn't want her nieces anywhere near Alicent's sons.