Chapter Sixteen Valaena Targaryen

That night, as a storm battered King's Landing, Valaena lay in the arms of her beloved husband but unlike him, she was wide awake and unable to sleep, carefully she slid out of Daemon's grip and stood on the cold hard floor, causing her to shiver. Throwing on her dressing gown, she walked to her father's room and sat at his beside, when he awoke he briefly mistook her for Alicent only for Valaena to correct him and gently take hold of his hand. "'The Song of Ice and Fire.' Do you believe it to be true? You told me it was our duty to hold the realm united against a common foe. By naming me heir, you divided the realm. I thought I wanted it. But the burden is heavy one. It's too heavy. If you wish me to bear it, then defend me. And my children." When she got no answer from her father, she came to the realization that even her beloved father had forsaken her to fend for herself causing her to cover her mouth as she began to cry. Unfortunately the daughter had cried herself to sleep at her father's bedside and awoke before the sun was too high in the sky and seeing this she quickly returned to her chambers where she was not surprised to see Daemon awake.

Just as she had closed the door he turned away from the window and looked at her, but before he could even ask where she had been, she started crying again leading him to rush up to her and embrace before leading her back to their bed where once again she cried herself to sleep. In the morning, Daemon was first to awake and get dressed for the day, he stood by the window watching his beloved sleep only for her to sense that he was not by her side and awaken, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes, she slid out of her bed and walked up to Daemon where she told him everything. This caused him to embrace her and reaffirm his promise to always be by her side to protect her, she smiled and soon Daemon helped his beloved get ready for the day. Before the presides of that day, the two spent time with their family only for Alysanne to reveal what she had promised Rhaenys causing them to be shocked at her actions but they were even more surprised when Rhaenyra accepted the terms. Later on that day in the throne room, neither Valaena, Rhaenyra or Daemon were happy to Otto seated on the Iron Throne in Viserys's stead as is his role as the Hand of the King, and it would be him who would preside over the succession of Driftmark in the event of Lord Corlys's death.

Valaena watched as Vaemond walked forward and said, "My Queen. My Lord Hand. The history of our houses extends beyond the Seven Kingdoms to the days of Old Valyria. For as long as House Targaryen has ruled the skies, House Velaryon has ruled the seas. When the Doom fell on Valyria our houses became the last of their kind. Our forebearers came to this new land, knowing that were they to fail, it would mean the end of their bloodlines and their name. I have spent my entire life on Driftmark defending my brother's seat. I am Lord Corly's closest kin, his own blood. The true, umimpeachable blood of House Velaryon runs through my veins. What do you know of Velaryon blood, Princess?" Out the corner of her eye, Valaena saw Rhaenyra about to say something which caused her to grab hold of her twin's wrist, causing Rhaenyra to look at the back of Valaena's head and for her to let go of the wrist. Valaena glared at Vaemond and was forced to stay quiet as she knew he was about to insult her and her son, "I could cut my veins and show it to you and you still wouldn't recognize it." As soon as he said that, Valaena's eyes changed causing her magic to get out of control, only for Daemon to take hold of her hand, causing her to glance at him and calm down her magic, yet her eyes didn't return to normal. "This is about the future and survival of my house, not yours. My Queen, My Lord Hand. This is a matter of blood, not ambition. I place the continuation of the survival of my house and my line above all. I humbly put myself before you as my brother's successor...the Lord of Driftmark and Lord of the Tides."

Once Vaemond's petition was concluded, Otto invited Valaena to speak on Jaehaerys's behalf, "If I am to grace this farce with some answer, I will start by reminding the court that nearly 20 years ago, in this very--" But before she could speak further, the throne room doors opened and to the incredulity of all present, Viserys hobbled into the throne room. Everyone could see that he was clearly in pain but determined to support his eldest daughter one last time and by his side was Princess Alyssa Targaryen. Valaena's eyes zoomed in on Aemond and saw him with his eye focused on Alyssa and was watching her every move. When Alyssa and Viserys stopped so he could look at his eldest, Alyssa curtsied to her grandfather then walked to her mother's side; Valaena smiled at her daughter and motioned for her to stand by Baelon's side. Valaena watched as her father stopped walking to glare at Otto, "I will sit the throne today." This single sentence forced Otto off of the throne and to stand by his daughter's side, he then struggled to climb the steps of the Iron Throne, and initially dismissed the offer of Ser Erryk's help but when he stumbled a second time, as he was out of breath from exertion, his crown fell from his head and two other figures stepped forward to help.

Just as Viserys was about to rebuff them, he realized it was Daemon and Valaena, both with their faces drawn by concern for his older brother and her father. Thankfully Viserys allowed both of them to help him up the steps and once he was seated upon the throne, Valaena took a step back and watched as Daemon placed the crown upon his head once more. Before they left his side, Daemon bowed and Valaena curtsied, with that the two left the King's side and walked back to their proper stations where Valaena purposely stood in front of Alyssa blocking her from Aemond's one-eyed gaze. Valaena's gaze moved from Aemond to her other two siblings but to her surprise the youngest of the four was not in attending, causing her to grow worried for the gentlest of the four, casting her gaze to Alicent, she saw her eyes focused on the King. "I must...admit...my confusion. I do not understand why petitions are being heard over a settled succession. The only one present who might offer keener insight into Lord Coryls's wishes is the Princess Rhaenys." As soon as her name was said everyone turned to look at her, Rhaenys exchanged a look with her younger cousin and much to the shock and anger of Vaemond, Otto and Alicent, she stepped forward, "Indeed, Your Grace. It was ever my husband's will that Driftmark pass through Ser Petyr to his trueborn son Jaehaerys Velaryon. His mind never changed. Not did my support of him. As a matter of fact, the Princess Rhaenyra had just informed me of her desire to marry her sons Jace and Luke to Lord Coryls's granddaughters, Baela and Rhaena. A proposal to which I heartily agree." "Well...the matter is settled. Again. I hereby reaffirm Prince Jaehaerys of House Velaryon as heir to Driftmark, the Driftmark Throne and the next Lord of the Tides."

As he finished his speech, Rhaenys exchanged a look with Valaena causing her to give her a small smile before Rhaenys walked to Baela's side, Valaena looked over her shoulder and at Jaehaerys who smiled at his mother. Yet such a declaration angered Vaemond causing Valaena to protectively stand in front of her children and look at Vaemond, "You break law and centuries of tradition to install your daughter as heir. Yet you dare tell me who deserves to inherited the name Velaryon. No. I will not allow it." Angered by this, Viserys glanced at his oldest daughter only to see her shielding Jaehaerys from Vaemond, which angered Viserys even more. "Allow it? Do not forget yourself, Vaemond." At hearing this Vaemond's fury knew no limits as he angrily turned to Jaehaerys and shouted, "That is no true Velaryon, and certainly no nephew of mine." As Valaena tried to stop him from speaking any further, Vaemond did the one thing he should never have done, he impulsively knocked the pregnant Heir to the ground, causing everyone to gasp and for him to glare down at her. Everyone that was near her rushed to her side, Valaena looked to her left and saw Daemon with a face full of fury but she gave him a smile and with his help, she was able to stand up and turn her gaze to Vaemond. "Jaehaerys is my true-born grandson. And you...are no more than the second son of Driftmark." "You...may run your house as you see fit...but you will not decide the future of mine. My house survived the Doom and a thousand tribulations beside. And gods be damned...I will not see it end on the account of this--"

Valaena watched as Vaemond held his tongue but she knew what he was going to say and she hoped that he wouldn't be so stupid as to say it, only for her to glance over her shoulder and at Daemon who was glaring at Vaemond, "Say it." Valaena turned her gaze to the furious Vaemond and she knew that he wouldn't be able to hold back as he was too blinded by rage, "Her children are BASTARDS! And she...is...a whore."As the court murmured at this outburst, an apoplectic Viserys stood to his feet and drew his dagger, "I...will have your tongue for that." But before he could even think of acting, Daemon silently walked up behind Vaemond and sliced offthe top of Vaemond's skull with Dark Sister, "He can keep his tongue." "DISARMHIM!" As Otto bellowed at the Kingsguard to disarm Daemon, he simply ignoredthem and in front of the entire court, he casually cleaned and sheathed DarkSister. "No need." Valaena was horrified at what happened, but her gaze immediately went to her father and she knew that the shock and exertion hadovercome him as he collapsed into her awaiting arms, "Call the maesters!" As she held her ailing father in her arms, Alicent rushed up to them and tried to take Viserys away from his daughter but stopped when she received a glare ofdeath from her and the quiet words of an angry Princess "Fuck off, Alicent!",stopping the Queen in her tracks. "Please, my love, you must take something forthe pain." Valaena listened as Viserys refused, insisting that he must makethings right.