Chapter 68

As per their prediction, the next few days after the disastrous dinner at the Malfoys, were very tough within the Black household. Hadrian was withdrawn and as the days went by the boy withdrew even more. Neither Sirius nor Remus knew what to do and whatever the tried was rebuffed with a blank look so they had to watch as Harry seemed to immerse himself in his work. He himself wasn't feeling too great. He had tried to send a letter to Draco and it had come back unanswered and it felt like someone had kicked him in the stomach; hard. He had no idea what to do in situations like the one he was in so he threw himself in to his studies, he poured over texts and theories for his own formula and closed off everything else by firmly locking it behind his Occlumency shields.

Hadrian focused everything he had on theoretically dismantling the wolfsbane potion before he did it practically because he knew he only had the ingredients to do it once before he would have to go to Diagon Alley. He was adding little things that had a possibility of editing or changing the potion to suit his needs, but it was turning out to be ridiculously difficult. He would think he had made a breakthrough, but then a certain ingredient would appear to counter an effect or the potion would become poisonous with no way to neutralize it. He was working tirelessly and as he wasn't sleeping too well; he spent his time through the night by pouring over books in the library and scrawling out notes.

He also stopped eating properly, something that didn't go unnoticed by Sirius or Remus, but he just wasn't listening to them. Come midweek they were getting thoroughly worried so Sirius sat Harry down in the living room for a talk; the boy looked like hell. He was very paling making the dark circles under his eyes stand out livid and he had lost a lot of weight, Sirius shook his head.

"Harry, I know you're upset, but you cannot go on like this; its unhealthy." He told his son, Harry just looked at him with the same blank look he had been wearing ever since the Malfoys left. Sirius sighed.

"I'm serious pup, you have to start eating and sleeping. You gotta let us in." He tried but it didn't seem to be working, the usually bright eyes were dull and flat.

"I'm fine." Harry stated in an emotionless voice. It made Sirius both relieved and worried. Relieved because he had finally spoken for the first time since that day, but worried because it didn't sound like his happy-go-lucky son.

"You're worrying Remus and I." Sirius sighed and Harry blinked, he didn't know why they were so worried, there was nothing wrong with him. He was perfectly fine.

"Father, I'm fine." He said again in the same tone. Sirius sighed again, but nodded.

"Just eat something and get some sleep will you."

"Ok." Harry got up and left the room and Sirius collapsed with a groan, Moony walked over to comfort his mate.

"He'll pull through." Remus murmured and Sirius nodded.

"I hope so, but did you hear his voice?"

"I think he's using Occlumency to blank everything out." Remus said thoughtfully.

"Well, I hope he shakes himself out of whatever this is." Just then Harry came back in to the room.

"I'm going to the castle to look in the library." He told them in the same emotionless voice, Sirius blinked but nodded slowly, maybe he could get something out of the teen.

"Be back for dinner please, Harry." Remus said.

"Yes, dad."

Harry almost slapped himself when he realized he had a load of apparently extinct ingredients at his demand, he couldn't believe he hadn't thought of it earlier so he floo'd to the castle and headed straight for the library. Harry pulled down all the books he had been reading the last time he had been there as well as a few on werewolves in the hopes that he could gain an insight from them. He used the large table in the center to spread his workings out so he could see everything and he opened each of the books to their relevant pages. Harry made some of the books' float in his line of sight as well as placing them around the desk and he charmed the quills he had brought with him to dictate for him.

He had many of them writing different things, it was another spell he had edited for his will, the quills wrote in Parseltongue and they were each connected to a different part of his mind so he didn't have to speak. He was so engrossed in his work, he didn't notice the Dark Lord enter the library and pause in disbelief at the boy, he didn't even notice the man came over and sat to watch him. Harry was about to take his own quill and begin scratching out another idea when someone cleared their throat to his left and startled him in to a reflex of flinging a curse at the sound. It was countered with ease and Harry blinked before recognizing a somewhat amused Dark Lord, he scowled.

"Are you trying to scare me?" He demanded and gave the man a withering look when he smirked at him.

"Hadrian, I've been here for nearly 20 minutes." Marvolo said in amusement. Harry blinked and then tilted his head.

"Really?"

"Yes"

"Huh, did not notice."

"That is quite bad." Marvolo pointed out and Harry nodded.

"Especially as your magic is practically crashing about in waves." Harry agreed in a monotone.

"What has you so engrossed, you look as if you haven't slept in a long time." Marvolo looked the boy over with a raised eyebrow, Harry shrugged.

"Trying to get a theoretical formula down. I came here to check out my lab and see what I have so I can add them to my inventory list." Harry explained going back to his work. Marvolo raised an eyebrow at the flat tone before he shrugged it off. He looked over the boy's numerous notes and couldn't help when his eyebrows rose impressed, the boy was a true genius when it came to potions apparently.

"These are good." Marvolo murmured looking over the rest, Harry shook his head.

"No, they're wrong and won't get me the result I'm looking for."

"Why are you still working on them?"

"Because I have to experiment with all options and I may find something to neutralize the problem."

"Very well, but if you wish to go to the labs then you may want to go now. It is approaching dinner."

"Ok, got it." Harry muttered finishing his notes, he waved his hand and had everything stack itself neatly. "I'll be back tomorrow." He told the Slytherin Lords before leaving the library, snapping his fingers for an elf as he went. Marvolo shook his head; the boy was strange. Harry followed the elf down to the labs and saw the door which was obviously for him. He bit his finger and spread blood on the spot where the handle should have been; Salazar locked everything with blood.

$Alpha$ He hissed and the door clicked before swinging open. Harry stepped in and the first bit of emotion showed on his face; astonishment.

"Damn" He muttered in awe, there were no words to describe the lab. Sal had truly outdone himself. The room was huge and Harry could see the doors leading off into, no doubt, extensive stores, and in sight there was everything he could possibly want and more. There were books written by Salazar himself on the shelf in the corner. Everything was perfectly persevered under parselmagic and Harry quickly and eagerly began making an inventory of every ingredient he had here. He was extremely pleased to note that Salazar had even stored seeds and cuts of ingredients so he could replant them and have them flourish in this time.

He would have to check the greenhouses here and back at the manor, and choose a place to plant them. It would open up so many opportunities for him to experiment with new and old ingredients. Harry cast tempus and sighed, he tucked his new inventory into his pocket and flamed home heading straight for the dining room. He ate most of his food even though he had to force it because he didn't want his dad to needlessly worry about him before heading straight back to the library where he opened all of his texts and notes and continued his workings. He also added all the ingredients that were now back being accessible to him again with their effects and counters, which gave him much more to work with, meaning he had to go over all his previously scrapped ideas to see if he had anything that might work with him. His father entered and shook his head at his son.

"Come on Harry, its late." Sirius said and Harry looked around with a puzzled expression.

"I only just got here." He said and Sirius shook his head.

"Its 10:30, you should have been in your room half an hour ago."

"Oh, I didn't realize," he said waving his had to collect all of his things. "Goodnight father." Sirius ruffled his hair as he passed and Harry vanished in to his room only to set up his work there and carry on where he left off like he did every night.