Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Hunter-

Her eyes widened when I opened my trunk and pulled out the thick, heavy blanket I'd brought. I could almost see her imagining what sort of nefarious things I might be planning.

"I thought it would be nice to sit on while we ate." I smiled.

"That would be good," she replied, visibly relaxing.

I couldn't resist teasing her some more, though. "Yeah, it will be great for later when it's darker. I don't think I should ravish you right here in the middle of the park in full daylight."

She actually gulped, and I laughed loudly. "I'm just messing with you, Goody. You're safe. Here hand me the food, and I'll carry it."

She blushed and gave me a faltering grin. "It's okay. I've got it."

"You sure? I'm tough, I can take it all."

She lifted her chin slightly. "I'm tough too."

She was full of surprises. "Very well, tough gal. I was thinking we could set up over there under that big, leafy tree so we can have a little shade. Does that look good to you?"

"Yep, let's do it."

I cocked my eyebrow. "Did you just proposition me? I think you should know I'm not that kind of guy, Miss Wimberley."

"Uh . . . " She laughed nervously.

"Relax, Cami. It's all right." I was having entirely too much fun with her already. Be careful, my inner voice warned me again, and I wanted to shove it back down. This was just a friendly date between new friends—following through on something I'd done to help her get out of an awkward situation. I didn't ever have to ask her out again after this. Everything would be okay and back where it should be. I was safe as long as I kept things light and chill.

I spread the blanket on the ground and gestured for her to take a seat. She did and reached into the bag, dishing our food: two juicy-looking bacon cheeseburgers, crispy fries with ketchup and ranch for dipping, and two shakes—one chocolate for me, one strawberry for her—along with two pieces of thick, homemade apple pie.

"This looks fabulous," I said as I settled down next to her, stretching out and propping up on one of my elbows.

"Thanks again for inviting me. I know you didn't have to, but I appreciate you trying to help me last night."

I took a sip of my shake and stared at her. "You are aware this isn't a mercy date, aren't you? I've been talking myself out of asking you to do something since I moved here."

Her eyes widened. "You have? Why?"

I shrugged. "I have some things going on in my life right now that make dating a little on the difficult side. I don't really want to get into it, but things are complicated. I figured it was easier to stay away rather than risk messing things up."

I breathed a sigh of relief when she didn't ask me any more questions. There was no way for me to explain. It was a secret I needed to keep to myself for now.

"Why me?" she finally asked.

Sighing, I touched the end of her hair, fingering it slightly. It felt so silky. "You were the first person I saw at this school. I'd parked in the lot and was walking past the auditorium and saw this gorgeous girl come out of the music room. The sun hit your stunning red hair, and it shone so brightly it almost looked like you had a halo. You were staring down at some music you were holding, and started humming something. I froze. I just stood there and watched you walk by. You were so engrossed you didn't notice me." I twisted the loop of her hair around my finger. "You straightened it today. I've never seen you wear it this way before."