Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Hunter-

He kissed her! Kissed her! That made me want to rearrange his face. Feelings of possessiveness welled up, causing a great amount of anger to roll through me, though I didn't really have time to analyze.

Cool it, man, the sane, rational voice in my head instructed. I tried tapping into that inner place I went when I needed to calm down. I lifted the camera and zoomed in again, snapping a few more pictures of Clay as he stood and kicked the giant mat when Cami ran away. He reached into his pocket, pulled something out, and paused, looking at it. I couldn't tell what it was, but I took another shot hoping I could catch it.

He was certainly exhibiting signs of repressed anger. It scared me a little, wondering if the cracks were starting to show in his carefully maintained demeanor. I didn't want to jump to any conclusions—things really could be exactly as they appeared—but I thought maybe I should keep a better eye on him. I didn't want him hurting Cami in any way.

I struggled with the idea of rushing to check on her as she came barreling by my hiding spot. I started reaching for her but then changed my mind when I heard her sobs. She was obviously upset, and I didn't think she needed me mixing up her feelings even more. She could probably use a few moments to compose herself.

Watching her, I waited until she was safely deposited in the bathroom just inside the back glass doors of the main building before I made my way over to the exterior entrance to the photo lab. The bell was about to ring, and most of the students were back gathering up their belongings. I took my camera and slipped into the dark room, hoping no one would notice. I made sure there were four bins set up with the different developing chemicals, and I locked the door, activating the red light.

Pulling out my film, I set to work, knowing it would take time to develop and enlarge the images I was interested in. I kept a nervous watch on both the timer and the clock on the wall, worried about being interrupted. I maneuvered my way through the process, carefully doing a strip test to see how long to expose my images.

There was a knock on the door. "Is someone in there?" Mr. Adams voice spoke.

I cringed, glancing up through the red haze toward the clock. I'd been locked in here for almost two hours. "Yeah, it's me, Hunter. I used all my film and wanted to see some of my images. I thought the darkroom was open until five."

I had several photos hanging, and from what I could see so far, there were some good captures. The ones of Cami immediately caught my eye. Even in black and white she was beautiful.

"It is. I had a faculty meeting after class and didn't realize anyone was still in here until I saw the Do Not Enter sign was lit. Just be sure to clean up and close everything when you're done."

"Will do," I replied as I continued to hurry about stringing pictures on the dry line. When I was finished I straightened the room, following the instruction sheet on the wall. I was almost done when there was another knock at the door.

"Just a sec," I called as I quickly pulled the pictures down and placed the ones I'd taken of Cami and Clay upside down in a pile on the worktable. I put a few of Cami, along with some of the track, facing up and unlocked the door so Mr. Adams could come in.

"There you are."

I was shocked to see Cami standing there. She stepped inside hugging her binder, and the door closed behind her.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. The red light made her hair look like it was glowing.

"Well, I was waiting for you. Your car was still in the parking lot."